I am an Associate Professor in the Math Department at the University of Washington, Seattle.
I can be reached via [first 8 letters of last name]@uw.edu
My main field of research is Analysis. I like questions combining PDEs, Spectral Theory, Harmonic Analysis
and all sorts of applications. CV
List of open problems
Fall 2023: Math 381 (Discrete Mathematical Modeling)
Winter 2024: Math 180 (A Walk in the Garden of Mathematics)
Spring 2024: Math 563A (Graduate Graph Theory)
- (with Ovall, Quan, Reid) On localization of eigenfunctions of the magnetic Laplacian, arxiv
- (with Bilyk, Mastrianni), Single radius spherical cap discrepancy via gegenbadly approximable numbers arxiv
- (with Bilyk, Chang,
Heinävaara, Matzke) A random line intersects S^2 in two probabilistically
independent locations, arxiv
- (with Ottolini) Greedy Matching in Optimal Transport with concave cost, arxiv
- (with Babecki and Thomas) Spectrahedral Geometry of Graph Sparsifiers, arxiv
- (with Faulhuber) Maximal polarization for periodic configurations on the real line, arxiv
- (with Ottolini) Concentration of Hitting Times in Erdos-Renyi graphs, arxiv
- (with Bilyk, Mastrianni, Matzke) Polarization and Greedy Energy on the Sphere, arxiv
- (with Devriendt and Ottolini) Graph curvature via resistance distance, arxiv
- Local sign changes of polynomials, arxiv, Journal d'Analyse Mathematique , accepted.
- (with Shubham Gupta) Rearrangement Inequalities on the Lattice Graph, arxiv
- (with Andrea Ottolini) Guessing cards with complete feedback, arxiv, Adv. Appl. Math., accepted.
- Quadratic Crofton and sets that see themselves as little as possible, arxiv
- (with Hoskins and Quan) Magnetic Schrodinger operators and landscape functions, arxiv
- An Inequality Characterizing Convex Domains, arxiv
- Discrete Rearrangements and the Polya-Szegő Inequality on Graphs, arxiv
- (with Burdzy, Hoskins)
From pinned billiard balls to partial differential equations, arxiv
- Some Remarks on the Erdős Distinct Subset Sums Problem, arxiv, Int. J. Number Theory, accepted.
- (with Anna Gilbert and Yulan Zhang) May the force be with you,
- An elementary proof of a lower bound for the inverse of the star discrepancy, arxiv, J. Complexity, accepted.
- On Combinatorial Properties of Greedy Wasserstein Minimization, arxiv
- Approximate Solutions of Linear Systems at a Universal Rate, arxiv, SIAM J. Matrix Analysis and Applications, accepted.
- An Agmon estimate for Schrodinger operators on Graphs, arxiv, Lett. Math. Phys., accepted.
- (with Rekha Thomas) Random Walks, Equidistribution and Graphical Designs
- The first eigenvector of a distance matrix is nearly constant arxiv, Discrete Math., accepted.
- (with Alaifari, Bartolucci, Wellershoff) On the connection between uniqueness from samples and stability in Gabor
phase retrieval arxiv
- (with Bamdad Hosseini) Intrinsic Sparsity of Kantorovich Solutions arxiv, Comptes Rendus Mathematique, accepted.
- Sums of Distances on Graphs and Embeddings into Euclidean Space arxiv, Mathematika, accepted.
- Curvature on Graphs via Equilibrium Measures arxiv, J. Graph Theory, accepted.
- The Boundary of a Graph and its Isoperimetric Inequality arxiv, J. Discrete Applied Mathematics, accepted.
- (with Hau-tieng Wu) Fundamental component enhancement via adaptive nonlinear activation functions, arxiv, App. Comp. Harm. Anal. , accepted.
- Quantum Entanglement and the Growth of Laplacian Eigenfunctions arxiv, Comm. PDE, accepted.
Growth of Laplacian Eigenfunctions (2022)
Five Short Stories about Optimal Transport (2022)
Nonlinear Fourier series (2021)
Random Walks on the Sphere and Linear Systems of Equations (2021)
Parabolic Techniques for Elliptic PDEs in Mathematical Physics (2021)
Exact Sparse Recovery via Refined Least Squares (2021)
Mean-Value Inequalities for Harmonic Functions (2021)
A PDE describing Roots of Polynomials under Differentiation (2021)
Optimal Coffee Shops, Numerical Integration and Kantorovich-Rubinstein Duality (2021)
The Hot Spots Conjecture on Graphs (2020)
Solving Linear Systems of Equations via Random Kaczmarz/Stochastic Gradient Descent (2020)
Nodal Sets of Eigenfunctions: Progress via Optimal Transport (2020)
Designs on Graphs (2020)
Dimension Reduction via t-SNE: Theory and Challenges (2020)
New Interactions between Analysis and Number Theory (2017)
Combinatorics Seminar, UW (Jan 11)
Codes and Expansions (CodEx) Webinar (Jan 17)
Analysis and Probability Seminar, Webinar Iowa State (Jan 25)
University of Alberta (Feb 2-3)
UC Irvine (Feb 15)
Wisconsin-Madison (Mar 3)
Howard University (April 14)
U Minnesota, Minneapolis (May 4)
SIAM Conference on Optimization (Seattle) (May 31 - Jun 3)
Oregon State (June 5)
Modern Applied and Computational Analysis, ICERM (June 26 - 30)
Geometric Spectral Theory, Oberwolfach (Aug 20-26)
Algorithms and Complexity for Continuous Problems, Dagstuhl (Aug 27 - Sep 1)
Mathematical Information Science, Lagrange Mathematics and Computing Research Center, Paris (Oct 9-13)
SIAM PNW Meeting, Bellingham (Oct 14-15)
Pacific Northwest Probability Seminar (Nov 4)
Oberwolfach (Applied Harmonic Analysis and Data Science), April 21 - 26