Published and Previously Unpublished Academic Writing
The links here are to pdf files of my academic writing, which is being posted in the first instance to make accessible work that either had never appeared in print, or appeared in publications that may otherwise be difficult to obtain. As time permits I shall add files.
Publications about the Muscovite kuranty (translated news and pamphlets)
- New Introduction to the material on the kuranty (2007)
- Excerpts from 1972 Harvard Ph.D. Dissertation, "Muscovite Pamphlets with Turkish Themes"
- "On the Origin of the 'Correspondence between the Sultan and the Cossacks" (Recenzija, I/2 : 3-46)
- "The Publication of Muscovite Kuranty" (review of Vesti-Kuranty 1600-1639 gg.) (Kritika, IX/3 (1973): 104-20)
- "Diplomatic Channels as a Source for Foreign News in Muscovy" (unpublished conference paper, 1975)
- "Azbuka znakami lits: Egyptian Hieroglyphs in the Privy Chancellery Archive," Oxford Slavonic Papers, N. S., 10 (1977): 46-50
- "News of the False Messiah: Reports on Shabbetai Zevi in Ukraine and Muscovy," Jewish Social Studies 41/3-4 (1979): 301-22
- "News Sensations from the Front: Reportage in Late Muscovy concerning the Ottoman Wars," in: Rude & Barbarous Kingdom Revisited:Essays in Russian History and Culture in Honor of Robert O. Crummey, ed. Chester Dunning, Russell Martin and Daniel Rowland. Bloomington, IN.: Kritika, 2008: 491-506 + 2 plates.
- "'The Blowing of the Messiah's Trumpet': Reports about Sabbatai Sevi and Jewish Unrest in 1665-1667," in: The Dissemination of News and the Emergence of Contemporaneity in Early Modern Europe, ed. Brendan Dooley. Farnham, Surrey; Burlington, VT.: Ashgate, 2010: 137-52
History of the Book and Libraries
- "Soviet Watermark Studies--Achievements and Prospects" Kritika: A Review of Soviet Books on Russian History 6/2 (1970): 78-111
German summary and partial translation by Theo Gerardy in IPH Information.
- “The Lessons of the Kurbskii Controversy Regarding the Study and Dating of Old Russian Manuscripts,” in Russian and Slavic History, ed. Don Karl Rowney and G. Edward Orchard (Columbus, O.: Slavica, 1977): 219-37. Prefacing this article here is a page I composed in 2011 with retrospective notes regarding other opinions and publications pertaining to the subject matter.
- "A Scriptorium in Kholmogory: Some Observations on Palaeography," a previously unpublished essay written originally to be part of my article entitled "Two Unpublished Muscovite Chronicles," which appeared in Oxford Slavonic Papers, N.S., XII (1979), pp. 1-31.
- "The Library of Aleksei Mikhailovich," Forschungen zur osteuropäischen Geschichte 38 (1986): 299-324.
- "K izucheniiu fal'sifikatsii pis'mennykh istochnikov po istorii srednevekovoi Rossii" (Toward the Study of the Falsification of Written Sources for the History of Medieval Russia), Russian History 25/1-2 (1998) [=Memorial Festschrift for A. A. Zimin]: 11-20.
Miscellaneous pre-modern Russian history and culture
- “Correspondence Concerning the ‘Correspondence’,” in Harvard Ukrainian Studies (=Kamen' Kraeug"l'n". Essays presented to Edward L. Keenan on his Sixtieth Birthday by his Colleagues and Students), 19 (1995!): 23-65.
- “Remembering Academician Dmitrii Sergeevich Likhachev,” REECAS Newsletter, Fall 1999: 9, 18.
- “We Have Never Been Modern: Approaches to the Study of Russia in the Age of Peter the Great ,” Jahrbücher für Geschichte Osteuropas 49 (2001): 321-45.
- “Kto na samom dele "provintsialen"? Razmyshleniia o kontseptsii provintsial'nosti na primerakh Rossii rannego Novogo vremeni, Zapadnoi Evropy i Ameriki,” in: Kniga i literatura v kul'turnom prostranstve epokh (XI-XX veka). Posviashchaetsia 45-letiiu nauchno-pedagogicheskoi deiatel'nosti Eleny Ivanovny Dergachevoi-Skop. Sost. i otv. red. O. N. Fokina, V. N. Alekseev (Novosibirsk, 2011), 51-58.
Reviews, Review Notices
Here I list them by author/title of the work reviewed, with the reference to where the review was published. Reviews published in The Silk Road are listed along with other materials there in the last section below.
Central Asia Past and Present
- “Central Asia After Eight Years of Independence,” REECAS Newsletter, Fall 1999: 1, 4-6.
- "The Need for a New Perspective on Central Asia,” REECAS Newsletter, Autumn/Winter: 3-4.
- "The Authoritarian Politics of Central Asia," in: The Democratic Process: Promises and Challenges. A resource guide produced for the Democracy Education Exchange Project (DEEP) (American Forum for Global Education, 2003): 37-53.
- “The Golden Horde and Russia,” in: Genghis Khan and the Mongol Empire, ed. William Fitzhugh, Morris Rossabi and William Honeychurch, [Media, Pa.:] Dino Don: Mongolian Preservation Foundation; Washington, D.C.: Arctic Studies Center, Smithsonian Institution; [Seattle]: University of Washington Press, 2009: 172-179.
- "Travel and Travelers in Medieval Eurasia," a pre-print from a forthcoming Historical Atlas of Central Eurasia, 2010.
- "Recovering Mongolia's Past" REECAS Newsletter, Spring-Summer 2010.
- "Trade and Cultural Interaction through Central Asia, ca. 500-ca.1500 .” Written in ca. 2003 for The World and its Peoples, a planned 50-vol. general encyclopedia by Brown Reference Group, London, which has ceased to exist (bankruptcy). The typescript of the article is here.
The Silk Road
Articles and reviews from the Silkroad Foundation's journal.
- "From the Editor," The Silk Road 1/2 (2003): 1-2
- "From the Editor," The Silk Road 2/1 (2004): 1-2
- "From the Editor," The Silk Road 2/2 (2004): 1-2
- "From the Editor," The Silk Road 3/1 (2005): 1-2
- "From the Editor," The Silk Road 3/2 (2006): 1-2
- "From the Editor," The Silk Road 4/1 (2006): 1-3
- "Boris Il'ich Marshak. July 9, 1933-July 28, 2006," The Silk Road 4/1 (2006): 4
- "The Challenges of Preserving Evidence of Chinese Lacquerware in Xiongnu Graves," The Silk Road 4/1 (2006): 32-36
- "From the Editor," The Silk Road 4/2 (2007): 1-4
- "Richthofen's 'Silk Roads': Toward the Archaeology of a Concept," The Silk Road 5/1 (2007): 1-10
A somewhat revised version of the article, linked here, with updated references and as yet unpublished supersedes the version published in 2007.
- "Marking the Centenary of Dunhuang" [Conference Report], The Silk Road 5/1 (2007): 68-72
- "Museums, Entrepreneurship, and the Politics of Cultural Identity", The Silk Road 6/1 (2008): 2-8
- "Paths Less Trodden", The Silk Road 7 (2009): 2-7
- "Images from Ancient Iran: Selected Treasures from the National Museum in Tehran. A photographic essay," The Silk Road 8 (2010): 4-15
- (co-authored with Ursula Sims-Williams), "The Old Curiosity Shop in Khotan," The Silk Road 8 (2010): 69-96
- "Nomads and Settlement: New Perspectives in the Archaeology of Mongolia," The Silk Road 8 (2010): 97-124
- "The Chaoyang Northern Pagoda: A photo essay," The Silk Road 9 (2011): 53-70
- [reviews:] "...Full of Sound and Fury..." (on V. S. Flerov, "Goroda" i "zamki" Khazarskogo kaganata. Arkheologicheskaia real'nost'); and on I. F. Nedashkovskii, Zolotoordynskie goroda nizhnego Povolzh'ia i ikh okruga, The Silk Road 9 (2011): 156-61
- "The Gray Eminence of Kashgar Speaks" (review of: N. F. Petrovskii, Turkestanskie pis'ma), The Silk Road 9 (2011): 162-64
- "The Spillings Hoard in the Gotlands Museum," The Silk Road 9 (2011): 165-69
- Book Notices, The Silk Road 9 (2011): 170-87