Ekman and Rossby calculations on the Solomon Sea
Linear explorations with merged CCMP/ASCAT winds (1987-2013)...
Note: Monthly-mean winds were constructed from original daily files.
CCMP winds were available from July 1987 to June 2011, ASCAT winds from April 2009 to December 2013. For the overlap period, a simple average was made.
"Interannual" means the average annual cycle was removed, and the residual smoothed with a 7-month triangle filter.
- Wind mean vectors and variance ellipses in frequency bands
- Monthly (Overlay central section for Ekman transport below)
- Annual cycle
- Winds along sections
- Along 154°E
- Annual cycle
- Interannual (Glider period)
- Unfiltered monthly (glider period)
- Interannual along 10°S
- Basin winds
- Variance ellipses: Monthly Annual cycle Interannual
- Curl RMS: Monthly Annual cycle Interannual
- Decadal changes: 1987-2013 mean Curl Tau difference 99-13 minus 87-96 Curl difference
- Low-frequency Curl(x,t) averaged in latitude bins
- Ekman transport calculations
Based on a diagonal section down the center of the Sea
- Interannual winds rotated to Along - and Cross-Sea components
Compare section east of Solomons: Parallel eastern section Difference (circumisland wind)
- Time series integrated along the section (Sv) (Glider period) (Demeaned)
- Time series on latitude   (Glider period)
- Implied dh/dt at S.I. coast (Glider period)
- Ekman slides sent to Russ (7 Feb 2014) (pdf)
- Rossby solution
CCMP/ASCAT interannual winds.
Unless noted: c=3.0m/s, Damping=24 months.
- h: thermocline depth anomalies, positive down
- Along 165°E (Glider period)
- Along 12°S (Glider period)
- ug on 165°E: All Glider period y=spz3
Total u_rw arriving at the Solomon Islands
- RMS ug at the western boundary input to the NGCU: Incoming transport RMS(y) Integral RMS
- Rossby/Godfrey solution for Solomon Sea transport (Preliminary)
- Solution broken into WBC, direct, Sol.Is.: Compare glider transport Compare SOI (2 choices of dividing latitude) 1987-2013
Compare 700m obs
- Compare SI, Direct, WBC pieces separately (700m): c=3.0m/s c=2.5m/s 1987-2013
- Annual cycle solution:
- Urw: At 165°E 6°S (Further S is very weak)
- Rossby solution (in parts) and observed Sol.Sea transport