Email the Class
Shellfish aquaculture field trip around Puget Sound
Saturday, May 3
We will assemble at the white UW minivans in the Burke Museum Parking Lot at 6:45 a.m. We will be on the road at 7:00.
We will be hosted all day by Dr. Joth Davis, who will meet us at Port Gamble on the way to Quilcene. The agenda is as follows:
We may not be able to hold exactly to this schedule, depending on how many questions people have, how nice a day it is, and how much fun people are having on the beach. But we should be done by 4:00 or a little later, and it will then take a little over two hours to drive from Totten Inlet through Olympia to Seattle. We should be back between and 6:00 and 6:30.
- 7:55 Ferry from Edmonds to Kingston. I know we will get there early, but I want to make sure we get on the boat.
- 9:30-10:30 Quilcene: Shellfish hatchery tour
- 11:30-12:00 Shelton: FLUPSY Floating Upwelling System for juvenile growth
- 12:15-1:15 Shelton: Taylor Shellfish Processing Plant and Lunch
- 1:30-2:30 Totten Inlet: Mussel Culture
- 2:30-4:00 Totten Inlet: Geoduck, Clam, and Oyster Culture
- 6:00 or 6:30 Return to Seattle
What to bring, wear, etc
- The weather forecast for
Western Washington. Dress accordingly
- Bring Wellington boots (rain boots or rubber boots). We will take a poll in class before the trip and find out how many more boots are needed. I or Joth Davis will supply extras. If it's sunny, consider a hat and or sunscreen, as the beach at midday can burn you in a hurry.
- Bring a camera or be prepared to take pictures with your phone for the slide show in Tuesday's class, and for your own memories. Last time not enough people took pictures. So be more proactive
- Bring a notebook and something to write with, as you will need to be taking notes at every stop
- Bring a lunch.