Email the Class
Shellfish aquaculture field trip around Puget Sound
Saturday, May 7
We will assemble at the white UW minivans in parking lot N5 (across Memorial Way from the Burke Museum) at 6:45. We will be on the road at 7:00, no exceptions, since we don't want to miss the ferry.
The agenda for the day is as follows:
We may not be able to hold exactly to this schedule, depending on how many questions people have, how nice a day it is, and how much fun people are having on the beach. But we should be done by sometime between 3:30 and 4:30, and it will then take two hours, mais o menus, to drive from Chapman Cove or Shelton to Seattle. We should be back between 5:30 and 6:15
- 7:55-8:25 Ferry from Edmonds to Kingston.
- 9:30-10:45 Quilcene: Shellfish hatchery tour
- 11:45-12:15 Shelton: FLUPSY (floating upwelling system)
- 12:45-1:45 Victor: Geoduck Farming
- 2:15-3:00 Chapman Cove: Oyster and Clam Culture
- 3:30-4:15 Shelton: Packing Plant (tentative)
- 5:30-6:15 (depending on the packing plant) Return to Seattle
What to bring, wear, etc
- The weather forecast for
Western Washington. Dress accordingly. It looks like it's going to be sunny but not overly warm, but be sure to have a hat and/or sunscreen, as you can get burned quickly on the beach.
- Bring Wellington boots (rain boots or rubber boots). We will take a poll in class before the trip and find out how many more boots are needed. I have an extra pair in a women's size if someone needs it.
- Bring a camera or be prepared to take pictures with your phone for the slide show in Tuesday's class, and for your own memories. We will do the same drill with the slide show as we did for the forestry trip.
- Bring a notebook and something to write with, as you will need to be taking notes at every stop
- Bring a lunch.