[an error occurred while processing this directive]
TC 517: Course Readings
List of Readings, TC517
Autumn Quarter 2007
- Hafner, Katie. "Wanted by the Police: A Good Interface" New York Times, Nov 11, 2004.
- Gould, J.D. and Lewis, C., "Designing for usability: Key principles and what designers think," Communications of the ACM, 1985, 28, 300-311.
- Rosenbaum, S., "Usability Evaluations Versus Usability Testing: When and Why?"
- Neilsen, J., Usability Engineering, ch. 5, "Usability Heuristics"
- Jong, M. de, and Geest, T.v.d., "Characterizing Web Heuristics"
- Research-Based Web Design & Usability Guidelines, http://www.usability.gov/pdfs/guidelines.html
- One-pager on the Cognitive Walkthrough: http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~zwz22/CognWalk.htm
- Dumas, Joe, "How many participants in a usability test is enough?," Common Ground, UPA
- Barnum, Carol, "What's in a Number?," Usability Interface, January 2003, pp. 7-9.
- UW Office of Research, "Using Human Subjects in Research: Why informed consent is crucial," Office of Research Newsletter, 1999, pp. 1-3.
- Dray and Siegel, "Penny-Wise, Pound-Wise: Making Smart Trade-offs in Planning Usability Studies"
- Bias and Mayhew, Cost Justifying Usability, ch. 2 and 22
- Dumas, Joe, "Usability testing Methods: Subjective Measures Part ICreating Effective Questions and Answers"
- Dumas, Joe, "Usability testing Methods: Subjective Measures Part IIMeasuring Attitudes and Opinions"
- Boren and Ramey, "Thinking Aloud: Reconciling Theory and Practice" Professional Communication, IEEE Transactions on Volume: 43 Issue: 3, Sept. 2000
- Norgaard and Hornbaek, "What Do Usability Evaluators Do in Practice? An Explorative Study of Think-Aloud Testing," DIS 2006
- Weiss, "Interviewing," from Learning from Strangers
- Wilson, Chauncy "Analyzing and Reporting Usability Data" STC Usability Sig Newsletter. http://www.stcsig.org/usability/newsletter/9710-analyzing-data.html
- Kantner et al, "Organizing Qualitative Data from Lab and Field: Challenges and Methods" paper from UPA 2005, available on http://www.teced.com/ourwork_published.html
- Perkins, Ron. "Remote Usability Evaluation Over the Internet," in Design by People for People: Essays on Usability, Russell J. Branaghan, ed., UPA: 2002, pp. 153-162.
- Gough and Phillips, "Remote Online Usability Testing: Why How and When to Use it"
- Froehlich et al, "MyExperience: a system for in-situ tracing and capturing of user feedback on mobile phones," MobiSys '07
- Tamler, Howard, "High-tech versus hightouch: Some limits of automation in diagnostic usability testing," copyright 2001 by Howard Tamler PhD,
- Beyer and Holtzblatt, ch. 3, "Principles of Contextual Inquiry" and ch. 4, "Contextual Inquiry in Practice"
- Winschiers, "Context: Designing for Usability in Namibia"
- "We Are All Connected: The Path from Architecture to Information Architecture" by Fu-Tien Chiou http://www.boxesandarrows.com/
- Salvador et al., "Design Ethnography," Design Management Journal 10(4): 35-41
- Ehrlich, et al., "More for Less: A Novel Hybrid Method to Maximize the Impact of Research" ACM 2003.
- Hughes, Michael. "Rigor in Usability Testing." Technical Communication, Fourth Quarter (1999): 488-94.
- Yeats, Dave; Carter, Locke. "The Role of the Highlights Video in Usability Testing: Rhetorical and Generic Expectations" Technical Communication, May 2005: pp. 156-162(7).
- Krug, Steve "Usability Testing on 10 cents a day" Ch 9 from Don't Make Me Think. New Riders 2000.
- O'Hara et al, "Consuming Video on Mobile Devices," CHI 2007.
- Wilson, Chauncey E. "Usability and User Experience Design: The Next Decade." Intercom: 6-9. January 2005.
- Rosenbaum, "The Future of Usability Evaluation: Increasing Impact on Value"