Kim A. Woodrow, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Bioengineering
W.H. Foege N410D
3720 15th Avenue NE
Seattle, WA 98122-5061
206 685 6831 (phone)
Research Scientists & Postdoctoral Scholars
Yonghou Jiang, D.V.M., Ph.D.
Research Scientist, 2013 - current
Research Scientist, Washington National Primate Research Center, 2013
Postdoctoral Scientist, Pathobiology, University of Washington, 2006
Vistiting Scientist, Washington National Primate Research Center, 2003
Ph.D., Veterinary Pathology, NEAU College of Veterinary Medicine, 2000
M.S., Infectious Disease, NEAU College of Veterinary Medicine, 1995
D.V.M., Veterinary Medicine, NEAU College of Veterinary Medicine, 1992
Jaehyung Park, Ph.D.
Research Scientist, 2013 - current
Postdoctoral Scientist, Bioengineering, University of Washington, 2012
Ph.D., Biomedical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2009
M.S., Chemical Engineering, Tufts University, 2004
M.S., Materials Science & Engineering, Korea Aerospace University, 1998
B.S., Materials Science & Engineering, Korea Aerospace University, 1996
Senior Fellow, 2014 - current
Ph.D., Purdue University, 2014
M.S. Biomedical Engineering, Institute for Nanobiomedical Technology and Membrane Biology, Institute for West China Medical School, Sichuan University, China, 2009
B.S. Biomedical Engineering, College of Materials Science and Engineering, Sichuan University, China, 2006
Research focus: biomaterials engineering for mucosal immunity
- 1. Hangyu Zhang, Zhe-fei Li, Alexandra Snyder, et al. Functionalized graphene oxide for the fabrication of pesticide biosensors. Analytica Chimica Acta. 2014, 827: 86-94.
- 2. Zhe-fei Li, Hangyu Zhang, Yadong Liu, et al. Novel carbonized polyaniline-grafted silicon nanoparticles encapsulated in graphene sheets for Li-ion battery anodes. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. 2014, 6(8): 5996-6002.
- 3. Zhe-fei Li, Hangyu Zhang, Qi Liu, et al. Covalently-grafted polyaniline on graphene oxide sheets for high performance electrochemical supercapacitors. Carbon. 2014, 71: 257-267.
- 4. Aytekin Uzunoglu, John Coleman, Hangyu Zhang, et al. CeO2-MOx (M=Zr, Ti, Cu) Oxide Systems with High Oxygen Storage Capacity. Submitted.
- 5. Hangyu Zhang, Amy Griggs, et al. In vitro study of α-synuclein protofibrils by cryo-EM suggests a Cu2+-dependent aggregation pathway. Biophysical Journal. 2013, 104(12): 2706-2713.
- 6. Liping Ruan, Hanlin Luo, Hangyu Zhang, et al. Effect of sonication on a novel designed peptide. Journal of Wuhan University of Technology-Mater. Sci. Ed. 2013, 28(3): 622-626.
- 7. Zhe-fei Li, Hangyu Zhang, et al. Fabrication of high-surface-area graphene/polyaniline nanocomposites and their application in supercapacitors. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. 2013, 5(7): 2685−2691.
- 8. Jin Shi§, Hangyu Zhang§, et al. (§These authors contributed equally to this work.) An aqueous media based approach for the preparation of a biosensor platform composed of graphene oxide and Pt-black. Biosensors and Bioelectronics. 2012, 38(1): 314–320.
- 9. Qi Liu, Hao He, Hangyu Zhang, et al. Synthesis of mesoporous chromium phosphates via solid-state reaction at low temperature. New Journal of Chemistry. 2012, 36 (1): 139-147.
- 10. Mei-xian Wang, Qi Liu, Hong-fang Sun, Eric A. Stach, Hangyu Zhang, et al. Preparation of high-surface-area carbon nanoparticle/graphene composites. Carbon. 2012, 50(10): 3845-3853.
- 11. Fan Xu, Hangyu Zhang, et al. Investigation of a catalyst ink dispersion using both ultra-small-angle X-ray scattering and cryogenic TEM. Langmuir. 2010, 26(24): 19199-19208.
- 12. Hangyu Zhang, Hanlin Luo, Xiaojun Zhao. Mechanistic study of self-assembling peptide RADA16-I in formation of nanoﬁbers and hydrogels. Journal of Nanotechnology in Engineering and Medicine. 2010, 1(1): 011007-6.
- 13. Hangyu Zhang, Hanlin Luo, et at. Control on mechanical strength of nano-peptide RADA16-I hydrogel. Materials Review. 2009, 23(4): 33-35.
- 14. Liping Ruan, Hangyu Zhang, et al. Designed amphiphilic peptide forms stable nanoweb, slowly releases encapsulated hydrophobic drug, and accelerates animal hemostasis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 2009, 106(13): 5105-5110.
- 15. Ruan Liping, Hangyu Zhang, et al. Application research of a novel designed peptide as a potential carrier. Science in China Series B-Chemistry. 2009, 52(5): 632-638.
- 16. Hanlin Luo, Hangyu Zhang, et al. Research on the reassembly and hydrogel-forming property of peptide RADA16-I nanofiber scaffold under ultrasound. Materials Review. 2009, 23(2): 42-45.
- 17. Liping Ruan, Hanlin Luo, Hangyu Zhang, et al. Investigation on structure and properties of a novel designed peptide with half-sequence ionic complement. Macromolecular Research. 2009, 17(8): 597-602.
- 18. Zhaoyang Ye§, Hangyu Zhang§, Hanlin Luo§, (§These authors contributed equally to this work.) et al. Temperature and pH effects on biophysical and morphological properties of self-assembling peptide RADA16-I. Journal of Peptide Science. 2008, 14(2): 152-162.
- ➢ Hangyu Zhang, Zhe-fei Li, Alexandra Snyder, et al. “Functionalized graphene oxide for the applications of pesticid
Honors and Awards:
- The research on Parkinson’s disease was reported in Purdue News. (2013).
- Highlighted research in Nature China. (doi:10.1038/nchina.2009.67. 2009).
- First Class Graduate Scholarship (2007); Guanghua Scholarship (2008).
- Honored Graduate of Sichuan University (2006, 2009); Excellent Student of Sichuan University (2005); National Graduate Entrance Examination waiver (2006).
- Second Class Scholarship, twice (2003, 2004); Third Class Scholarship (2005).
- Grade 3 in National Computer Rank Examination (2004); AutoCAD 2000 for Professional Level Two (2004).
- The president of College Student Council (2004-2005); The Sports Minister of Institute Student Council (2006-2007); Excellent leaders of the University Student Council (2003, 2004); Excellent League Leader of the University (2005).
- Runner-up in College Basketball League (2003); Sixth place in 4×100-meter relay in sports meeting of Sichuan University (2003). Champion in Go Contest of Fushun City, Youth Group (1995, 1997)
Graduate Student, Bioengineering, 2012 - current
B.S., Chemical Engineering, University of Colorado, Boulder
NSF Graduate Research Fellow
Molecular Medicine Training Fellow
Graduate Student, Bioengineering, 2013 - current
B.S., Pharmacy, Fudan University
Nanoparticle-based drug delivery for prevention and treatment of HIV
- 1. Gao Huile, Pan Shuaiqi, Yang Zhi, Cao Shijie, Chen Chen, Jiang Xinguo,etc. A cascade targeting strategy for brain neuroglial cells employing nanoparticles modified with angiopep-2 peptide and EGFP-EFG1 protein. Biomaterials. 32 (2011) 8669-8675
- 2.Huile Gao, Zhiqing Pang, Shuaiqi Pan, Shijie Cao, Zhi Yang, Chen Chen, and Xinguo Jiang. Anti-glioma Effect and Safety of Docetaxel-loaded Nanoemulsion. Arch Pharm Res, 2012 Vol 35, No 2, 333-341
- 3. Huile Gao1, Jun Qian1, Shijie Cao, Zhi Yang, Zhiqing Pang, Shuaiqi Pan, Li Fan, Zhangjie Xi, Xinguo Jiang, Qizhi Zhang*. Precise glioma targeting of and penetration by aptamer and peptide dual-functioned nanoparticles. Biomaterials 33 (2012) 5115-5123
- 4. Huile Gao1, Jun Qian1, Zhi Yang, Zhiqing Pang, Zhangjie Xi, Shijie Cao, Yuchen Wang, Shuaiqi Pan,Shuang Zhang, Wei Wang, Xinguo Jiang, Qizhi Zhang*. Whole-cell SELEX aptamer-functionalised poly(ethyleneglycol)-poly(ε-caprolactone) nanoparticles for enhanced targeted glioblastoma therapy. Biomaterials, 33 (2012) 6264-6272
- 5. Huile Gao, Zhi Yang, Shijie Cao, Zhangjie Xi, Zhang Shuang, Pang Zhiqing, Jiang Xinguo. Behavior and anti-glioma effect of lapatinib-incorporated lipoprotein-like nanoparticles. Nanotechnology, 23(2012), 435101
- 6. Huile Gao, Shilei Cao, Chen Chen, Shijie Cao, Zhi Yang, Zhiqing Pang, Zhangjie Xi, Shuaiqi Pan, Zhiqing Pang, Xinguo Jiang. Incorporation of lapatinib into lipoprotein-like nanoparticles with enhanced water solubility andanti-breast cancer effect. Nanomedicine(UK), 2013, Vol.8, No.9, 1429-1442
- 7. Huile Gao, Zhi Yang, Shuang Zhang, Shijie Cao, Shun Shen, Zhiqing Pang, Xinguo Jiang.Ligand modified nanoparticles increases cell uptake, alters endocytosis and elevates glioma distribution and internalization[J]. Scientific reports, 2013, 3.
- 8. Gao H, Yang Z, Zhang S, Cao S, Pang Z, Yang X, Jiang X. Glioma-homing peptide with a cell-penetrating effect for targeting delivery with enhanced glioma localization, penetration and suppression of glioma growth. J Control Release. 2013, 172(3) : 921-928
- 9. Gao H, Yang Z, Cao S, Xiong Y, Zhang S, Pang Z, Jiang, X. Tumor cells and neovasculature dual targeting delivery for glioblastoma treatment[J]. Biomaterials, 2014, 35(7): 2374-2382.
- 10. Huile Gao, Yang Xiong, Shuang Zhang, Zhi Yang, Shijie Cao, Xinguo Jiang. RGD and interleukin-13 peptide functionalized nanoparticles for enhanced glioblastoma cells and neovasculature dual targeting delivery and elevated tumor penetration[J]. Molecular pharmaceutics, 2014, 11(3): 1042-1052.
- 11. Huile Gao, Shuang Zhang, Zhi Yang, Shijie Cao, Xinguo Jiang, Zhiqing Pang. In vitro and in vivo intracellular distribution and anti-glioblastoma effects of docetaxel-loaded nanoparticles functioned with IL-13 peptide[J]. International journal of pharmaceutics, 2014, 466(1): 8-17.
Honors and Awards:
- Wangdao Scholar, Fudan University(2011-2013); Renmin Scholarship, Fudan University (2011); Xu Zengshou Scholarship, Funda University (2010)
Graduate Student, 2014 - current
B.S., Biomedical Engineering, The University of Texas at Austin
NSF Graduate Research Fellow
Mucosal immunology, biomaterials for the design of intravaginal vaccines.
- 1. D.C. Forbes, H. Frizzell, M. Creixell, N.A. Peppas, "Polycationic nanoparticles synthesized using ARGET ATRP for drug delivery," European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics (2013).
- 1. H. Frizzell, D.C. Forbes, N.A. Peppas, "Hydrogel Nanoparticles with pH-Responsive Properties for Oral Delivery of siRNA," Undergraduate Research Poster Symposium, Austin, Texas, December 6, 2014, poster.
- 2. H. Frizzell, D.C. Forbes, N.A. Peppas, "Oral Delivery of siRNA using pH-Responsive Hydrogel Nanoparticles," Biomaterial's Day, Austin Texas, May 31, 2013, poster.
- 3. H. Frizzell, D.C. Forbes, N.A. Peppas, "Oral Delivery of siRNA using pH-Responsive Hydrogel Nanoparticles," Undergraduate Research Poster Symposium, Austin, Texas, May 3, 2013, poster.
- 4. H. Frizzell, D.C. Forbes, N.A. Peppas, "Oral Delivery of siRNA for the treatment of inflammatory bowel disease," Undergraduate Research Poster Symposium, Austin, Texas, December 10, 2012, poster.
- 5. D.C. Forbes, M. Creixell, H. Frizzell, N.A. Peppas, "Oral Delivery of siRNA for the treatment of inflammatory bowel disease," Biomedical Engineering External Advisory Committee Poster Presentation, Austin, Texas, November 2, 2012, poster.
- 6. D.C. Forbes, M. Creixell, H. Frizzell, N.A. Peppas, "Two-part Oral siRNA Delivers Systems for the Treatment of Colon Cancer," CPRIT, Austin, Texas, October 24, 2012, poster.
- 7. H. Frizzell, D.C. Forbes, N.A. Peppas, "Two-part Oral siRNA Delivery Systems: Polycationic Hydrogel Nanoparticles and Alginate Matrices," Biomaterials Day, Houston, Texas, July 27, 2012, poster.
- 8. D.C. Forbes, H. Frizzell, N.A. Peppas, "Comparing ARGET ATRP with Traditional Free Radical Polymerization for Versatile Polycationic Hydrogel Nanoparticles," Biomaterials Day, Houston, Texas, July 27, 2012, poster.
- 9. H. Frizzell, D.C. Forbes, N.A. Peppas, "pH-responsive nanoscale hydrogels designed for siRNA delivery," Undergraduate Research Poster Symposium, Austin, Texas, May 4, 2012, poster.
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship (2014—current); Achievement Rewards for College Scientists (ARCS) Foundation Fellowship (2014—current); Graduate with Honors, The University of Texas at Austin (2014); First Place Undergraduate Poster Presentation Competition, Biomaterials Day, Rice University (2013); Undergraduate Research Fellowship, The University of Texas at Austin (2012—2013); Russell U. Smith Family Endowed Scholarship, The University of Texas at Austin (2012—2013); Texas Exes Scholarship, The University of Texas at Austin (2009—2010).
Honors and Awards:
Graduate Student, 2016 - current
B.S., Materials Engineering, Iowa State University, 2015
NSF Graduate Research Fellow
Antiretroviral drug synergy in nanoparticle systems; biomaterials approaches to HIV prevention and treatment.
- 1. Akilbekova, D., Philiph, R., Graham, A. & Bratlie, K. M. Macrophage reprogramming: Influence of latex beads with various functional groups on macrophage phenotype and phagocytic uptake in vitro. J. Biomed. Mater. Res. A 103, 262-268 (2015).
- 2. Lindemann, W. R., Philiph, R., Chan, D.W.W., Ayers, C.T., Perez, E.M., Beckman, S.P., Strzalka, J., Chaudhary, S., Vaknin, D. Oriented polyvinylidene fluoride-trifluoroethylene (P(VDF-TrFE)) films by Langmuir-Blodgett deposition: a synchrotron X-ray diffraction study. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. (2015). doi:10.1039/C5CP04307G
- 1. Non-viral gene delivery using modified poly-L-lysine, R Philiph*, KM Bratlie, Presented at the Iowa State University Honors Program Poster Symposium, Ames, IA, 2015, poster presentation.
- 2. Macrophase separation using block copolymer blends, R Philiph*, C Oser, S Nicaise, K Berggren, Presented at the Iowa State University Symposium on Undergraduate Research and Creative Expression, Ames, IA, 2014, oral presentation.
- 3. Macrophase separation using block copolymer blends, R Philiph*, C Oser, S Nicaise, K Berggren, Presented at the MIT Summer Research Symposium, Cambridge, MA, 2013, poster presentation. *Presenting author
- National Science Foundation Graduate Fellowship (2016—current); Summa cum laude honors, Iowa State University (2015); Graduate with Honors, Iowa State University (2015); Goldwater Scholar (2014—2015); Tau Beta Pi Scholar (2014—2015); Cardinal Key Honor Society (Spring 2014-Present); High Scholarship Recognition, Iowa State University (2012, 2014, 2015); Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society (Fall 2013-Present); Iowa State University Honors Program (Fall 2011-Spring 2015); Alcoa Scholarship Fund, Iowa State University (Fall 2014-Spring 2015); Dr. S. Sourirajan Materials Science Scholarship, Iowa State University (Fall 2013-Spring 2015); Award for Competitive Excellence, Iowa State University (Fall 2011-Spring 2015).
Honors and Awards:
Staff Scientist and Lab Manager, 2013 - current
206 685 3581 (phone)
- Edmark RA, Genest DL. WIPO Patent WO/2002/055788. Cellulosic product having high compression recovery. Weyerhaeuser Company. Issued July 18, 2002.
- Dopps MI, Edmark RA, Marsh DG, Graef PA. U.S. Patent 6,867,346. Absorbent composite having fibrous bands. Weyerhaeuser Company. Issued March 15, 2005.
Nina Kondza (mentor: S. Cao)
Adam Little (mentor: H. Zhang, A. Blakney)
Kevin Liu (mentor: Fiber Subgroup)
Christina Nhan (mentor: A. Blakney)
Tiffany Ohlsen (mentor: H. Frizzell)
Namratha Potharaj (mentor: J. Park)
Joseph Phan, M.S. (2016) - NanoString Technologies
Renuka Ramanathan, Ph.D. (2016) - Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
Emily Krogstad, Ph.D. (2016) - Whitaker Scholar, Desmond Tutu HIV Foundation, South Africa
Cameron Ball, Ph.D. (2014) - Postdoctoral Scientist, Sandia National Laboratories
Reena Mahadevan, B.S./M.S. (2013)
UNDERGRADUATE CAPSTONE STUDENTS
Natasha Lou Comandante, B.S. (2016) - Ph.D. Student, Biomedical Engineering, U. Michigan
Jessica Hung, B.S. (2015) - Ph.D. Student, Biomedical Engineering, UVA
William Lykins, B.S. (2015) - Ph.D. Student, Bioengineering, UC Berkeley
Linhchi Pham, B.S. (2015) - Intern, Hanoi School of Public Health and the National Pediatric Hospital, Vietnam
Ben Read, B.S. (2015) - Ph.D. Student, Health Sciences and Technology, MIT
Hunter Bennett, B.S. (2014) - M.D./Ph.D. Student, UC San Diego
Andrew Johnson B.S. (2014) - M.D. Student, Case Western Reserve University
Alexandra Tillman B.S. (2014) - Post-baccalaureate Program, NIBIB, NIH
Deep Hathi, B.S. (2013) - Ph.D. Student, Biomedical Engineering, Washington University
Nathan Egge, B.S. (2012) - M.D. Student, UT Southwestern, Dallas
Adrienne Rothschilds, B.S. (2012) - Ph.D. Student, Biological Engineering, MIT
Lauren Schergen, B.S. (2011), M.D. Student, New York Medical College
Dr. Shih-Feng Chou, Postdoc (2016)
Dr. Sharon Golan-Paz, Postdoc (2016)
Dr. Huarong Nie, Postdoc (2015)
Dr. Thanya Chaowanachan, Postdoc (2013)
Ryan Stoddard (2015) - Ph.D. Student, UW Chemical Engineering
Daniel Carson (2015) - M.D. Student, UW Medicine