S. Marc Cohen
Department of Philosophy
University of Washington
Publications Available Online
Below are links to copies of some papers of mine for which I have received requests for reprints. For a few of the pre-1995 papers listed on my bibliography, electronic copies do not exist, and you will have to go to the original sources.
- Accidental Beings in Aristotle’s Ontology, forthcoming in Reason and Analysis
in Ancient Greek Philosophy: Essays in Honor of David Keyt, ed. by G. Anagnostopoulos and F. D. Miller, Jr. (Springer, 2013).
- Alteration and Persistence: Form and Matter in the Physics and De Generatione et Corruptione,
in C. Shields (ed.), Oxford Handbook of Aristotle. ed. by C. Shields (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2012), 205-226.
- Aristotle’s Substance, in J. G. Hernandez (ed.), Themes in Ancient and Modern Philosophy. Dubuque, IA: Kendall-Hunt, 37.
- Substances, in G. Anagnostopoulos (ed.), A Companion to Aristotle. Oxford: Blackwell (2009), 192-212.
- Kooky Objects Revisited: Aristotles Ontology, Metaphilosophy 39 (2008), 3-19.
- Analyzing Platos Arguments: Plato and Platonism (with David Keyt), in Methods of Interpreting
Plato and his Dialogues, ed. by J. Klagge and N. Smith (Oxford University Press, 1992), 173-200.
- Hylomorphism and Functionalism, in Essays on Aristotle’s De
Anima, ed. by M. Nussbaum and A. Rorty (Oxford University Press, 1992), 57-73.
- Aristotle on the Principle of Non-Contradiction, Canadian Journal of Philosophy 16 (1986), 359-370.
- Aristotle and Individuation, Canadian Journal of Philosophy, suppl. vol. 10 (1984) 41-65.
- Individual and Essence in Aristotle’s Metaphysics, Paideia (1978), 75-85.
- Essentialism in Aristotle, Review of Metaphysics 31 (1978), 387-405.
- The Psychology of Justice in Plato: a Response to Cooper (1977).
- Plato’s Method of Division, in Patterns in Plato’s Thought, J.M.E. Moravcsik (ed.). Dordrecht: Reidel (1973). 181-191
- The Logic of the Third Man, Philosophical Review 80 (1971), 448-475.
- Socrates on the Definition of Piety: Euthyphro 10A-11B, Journal of the History of
Philosophy 9 (1971), 1-13; reprinted with minor alterations in The Philosophy of Socrates,
ed. by G. Vlastos (Garden City: Doubleday, 1971), 158-176. Reprinted in Plato’s Euthyphro,
Apology, and Crito, ed. by R. Kamtekar (Rowman & Littlefield, 2005), 35-48.
- The One and the Many (with Gareth Matthews), Review of Metaphysics 21 (1968), 630-655.
- Wants and Lacks (with Gareth Matthews), Journal of Philosophy 64 (1967), 455-456.
- Review of Substantial Knowledge: Aristotle’s Metaphysics, by C.D.C. Reeve (2002)
- Review of Primary Ousia, by Michael Loux (1993)
- Review of Substance and Essence in Aristotle, by Charlotte Witt (1992)
- Review of Aristotle’s Metaphysics: Books Zeta, Eta, Theta, and Iota, by Montgomery Furth (1988)
- Review of Divine Substance, by Christopher Stead (1982)
- Review of Socrates, Philosophy in Plato’s Early Dialogues, by Gerasimos Santas (1981)
- Review of The Concept of Pleasure, by David L. Perry (1969)
Links on PhilPapers
Return Marc Cohen's Home Page
Send e-mail to Professor Cohen at