- Advice on Job Searches (including two-body negotiations).
- Advice on Negotiating a Faculty Position, and Hints for New Faculty (click on "Resources")
- Advice for postdocs on Job Searches, Negotiating, and Transitioning to New Faculty
- Advice on Nurturing Early-Career Scientists by Uri Alon. (see also the "additional info" link).
- ASCB's Career Advice for Life Scientists
Volume I and II and
- Advice for becoming a good manager (from Renaissance Wknd folks): Smart Choices (by Raiffa) and 5 Dysfunctions of a Team.
After implementing those suggestions, if situations are not resolved, read Difficult Conversations by Patton.
- Melissa Eblen-Zayas' reading list for undergraduate women (and men) in STEM fields.
- Advice for pre-tenure faculty via ADVANCE
- Advice on many topics (e.g. "Getting the Post Doc Training You Need")
- Advice on Mentoring Plans from the National Postdoctoral Association (grad students check it out too!)
- MIT's Postdoctoral Mentoring Toolkit (grad students check it out too!)
- Advice on how to get into grad school
- AAAS Career Basics Booklet for students, postdocs, and scientists in all career types
- Grants Net (fellowships etc.)
- Grant Resources Listed by UW
- Grant Resources Listed by Yale
- HHMI free books on lab management for postdocs/faculty
- HHMI sample letters, forms, materials
- "Academeology" essays on academic life by anonymous Female Science Professor
- Blogs/Advice by The Professor is in,
Female Science Professor, and Woman of Science
- "Ms. Mentor", a prof. in English, has a book,
another book, and
interviews re: women (and men) in academia, at least in the humanities.
- Why James Chartrand Wears Women's Underpants
- Drugs and lab chemicals to avoid during pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Biophysical Society's
"Careers in Biophysics" Booklet for Undergraduates
- COACh workshops on Negotiation, Communication, and Leadership
- Negotiation resources:
Women Don't Ask and
Ask for It
- Resources for pursuing academic careers: UW Career Center. How to apply, interview, and negotiate.
- Resources for pursuing non-academic careers: UW Career Center. How to find, apply, interview, and negotiate.
- Power Poses
- The Membrane Chix
Dept. of Chemistry 351700, Univ. of Washington, Seattle, WA,
Back to the
Keller Group Page.