Philosophy of Language
University of Washington
Who, When, Where
- Class Meetings: Tu Th, 1:30-3:20, in Condon 135
- Professor: S. Marc Cohen
- Office: Condon 608
- Telephone: 543-6895
- Office Hours: Tuesday 4:30-5:20 and by appointment. Call or
email to schedule.
- This course is offered jointly with Linguistics 476.
- The Philosophy of Language: fifrth edition, edited by A. P. Martinich
Other Required Reading
You must download and print your own copies of these materials:
Note: the Kaplan article is a large (2.7 MB) PDF file.
Beware of lengthy download times if you are not on a wide bandwidth internet
Written Work Required
- Mid-term exam: Tuesday, October 28, 2008
Study questions for exam will be posted on October 21, 2008.
- Final project (due Monday, December 8, 2008): Choice of
- Take-home final exam (questions will be posted on December 1, 2008)
- Term paper, 2500-3500 words (i.e., 10-12 pages double-spaced and numbered). Topic is optional,
but must concern a text or issue discussed in this class. If you have
any doubt about your choice of topic, please consult me.
- Graduate students in Philosophy and undergraduates taking the course
for optional W-credit (writing) must choose the term paper option.
- Undergraduates taking the course for W-credit must submit a preliminary piece
of writing not later than November 13. This should be in the form of an outline,
abstract, proposal, or preliminary draft of the term paper.
Copyright © 2008 - S. Marc Cohen
All Rights Reserved