I am an assistant professor in the Information School at University of Washington. My research interests are in Social Computing, where I combine ideas from both computer science and social science to uncover insights about social life online via large datasets. Currently, one major focus of my research is understanding and designing defenses against problematic information in online social platforms.
From August 2017 to 2020, I was an assistant professor in the Department of Computer Science at Virginia Tech. I completed my PhD in Computer Science from Georgia Tech, where I was a Foley Scholar. Previously, I have also worked in the neXus group at Microsoft Research, and the CUES group at IBM Research.
- 29 Sep 20 : Received Fact-Checking Innovation Initiative grant in collaboration with Pesacheck to audit social media platforms for misinformation prevalent in Africa.
- 15 Apr 20 : Received 2020 Dean’s Award for Outstanding New Assistant Professor in the College of Engineering, Virginia Tech.
- 6 Mar 20 : Invited to join the advisory board of SSRC's Social Data Initiative.
- 15 Jan 20 : Paper acceptances at GROUP 2020, CHI 2020, and C+J2020!
- 3 May 19 : Received an NSF award with Mike Horning for Designing Trustworthy and Transparent Information Platforms
- 30 Apr 19 : I was awarded the SSRC research grant to look at social media's impact on democracy using Facebook data.
- 25 Mar 19 : I was an invited speaker at the NATO StratCom COE's Emerging Trends in Social Media seminar.
- 7 Mar 19 : I received a grant from the Center for Peace Studies and Violence Prevention program to study hate-group communication in online spaces.
Recent Publications (all)
Measuring Misinformation in Video Search Platforms: An Audit Study on YouTube
E. Hussein, P. Juneja, T. Mitra | CSCW 2020 | paper | doi | dataset
Narrative Maps: An Algorithmic Approach to Represent and Extract Information Narratives
B. Keith, T. Mitra | CSCW 2020 | paper
What Makes People Join Conspiracy Communities?: Role of Social Factors in Conspiracy Engagement
S. Phadke, M. Samory, T. Mitra | CSCW 2020 | paper
Investigating Differences in Crowdsourced News Credibility Assessment: Raters, Tasks, and Expert Criteria
M. Bhuiyan, A. Zhang, C. Sehat, T. Mitra | CSCW 2020 | paper | dataset
Many Faced Hate: A Cross Platform Study of Content Framing and Information Sharing by Online Hate Groups
S. Phadke, T. Mitra | CHI 2020 | paper | doi