Current PhD students:
Xinsheng (Shawn) Qin (co-advised with Mike Motley, CEE), Tsunami forces on
structures and GPU implementations of AMRClaw and GeoClaw.
Buvoli, PhD, 2018
Thesis: Polynomial-Based Methods for Time-Integration
- First position: Instructor, Department of Mathematics, UC-Merced.
Davis, PhD, 2018
Thesis: Adjoint-Guided Adaptive Mesh Refinement for Hyperbolic Systems of
- Scott Moe, PhD, 2017.
order shock capturing methods with compact stencils for use with adaptive
mesh refinement and mapped grids
- First position: AMD Research
- Donsub Rim, PhD, 2017.
Quantification Problems in Tsunami Modeling and Reduced Order Models for
Hyperbolic Partial Differential Equations
- First position: Chu Assistant Professor of Applied Mathematics,
Shapero (co-advised with Ian Joughin, APL), PhD, 2017.
- PhD thesis:
Data assimilation problems in glaciology
- First position: Postdoc, UW eScience Institute and Polar Science Center
Mauricio del Razo Sarmina (co-advised with Hong Qian, AMath), PhD, 2016.
Stochastic Modeling of Reversible Biochemical Reaction-Diffusion Systems and
High-Resolution Shock-Capturing Methods for Fluid Interfaces
- First position: Postdoc, Freie Universitat, Berlin
- Maurice Fabien, MS, 2014.
- Jihwan Kim, PhD, 2014.
PhD Thesis: Finite volume
methods for Tsunamis genereated by submarine landslides,
- First position: Postdoc, NGI Oslo
- Grady Lemoine, PhD, 2013.
PhD Thesis: Numerical Modeling of Poroelastic-Fluid Systems Using High-Resolution Finite
- First position: Postdoc, UW Department of Civil and
- Current position: Software Engineer, CD-adapco.
- Josh Jacobs (co-advised with Pascale Lelong), PhD 2012.
Vortex Dynamics of
Geostrophically Adjusted Density Perturbations in Triply-Periodic Models of
Stratified Incompressible Fluids,
- First: Swanson Lab, UW Medical School.
- Kyle Mandli,
- PhD thesis: Finite Volume Methods for the Multilayer
Shallow Water Equations with Applications to Storm Surges
- First position: Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Texas, Austin
- Current position: Assistant Professor, Columbia University
- Jonathan Claridge,
- PhD thesis: Numerical Methods and Studies of Parabolic
Problems, Operator Splitting, and Adaptive Mesh Refinement
- First/current position: Google.
- Kirsten Fagnan, PhD,
- PhD thesis: High-resolution Finite
Volume Methods for Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy.
- First position: Postdoctoral Fellow, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory.
- Current position: NERSC, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory.
- David Ketcheson,
thesis: High Order Strong Stability Preserving Time Integrators and
Numerical Wave Propagation Methods for Hyperbolic PDEs
- First/current position: Assistant Professor, KAUST
- Randall Hoberecht, MS, 2009
- Masters thesis:
A finite volume approach to modeling
injury mechanisms of blast-induced traumatic brain injury
- First position: West Point (active duty, US Army)
- David George, PhD,
- Master's Thesis: Numerical Approximation of the Nonlinear
Shallow Water Equations with Topography and Dry-Beds: A Godunov-Type Scheme.
- PhD Thesis:
Finite Volume Methods and Adaptive Refinement for Tsunami
Propagation and Inundation
- First position: Postdoc, University of Utah
- Current position: Staff Scientist, USGS Cascades Volcano Observatory
- Marica Pelanti, PhD, 2005
Wave Propagation Algorithms for Multicomponent Compressible Flows with
Applications to Volcanic Jets.
- First position: Postdoc, Paris VI
- Current position: Faculty, ENSTA, Paris
- Long Lee,
PhD, 2002, "Immersed interface methods for incompressible flow
with moving interfaces"
- First position: Postdoc, University of North Carolina
- Current position: Associate Professor, University of Wyoming
- James Rossmanith,
- PhD thesis: A Wave Propagation Method with Constrained Transport
for Ideal and Shallow Water Magnetohydrodynamics"
- rossmanith_thesis.tar tar file containing all chapters
- .ps.gz files for each chapter:
- errata.ps An important correction.
- First position: Postdoc, University of Michigan
- Current position: Associate Professor, Iowa State University
- Derek Bale,
PhD, 2002, "Wave propagation algorithms on curved manifolds with
applications to relativistic hydrodynamics"
- First position: ii-vi
- Current position: Engineering Manager, Baker Hughes, Houston
- Tiernan Fogarty,
PhD, 2001, "Finite volume methods for elastic-plastic wave propagation in
- fogartyms.ps.gz Masters Thesis
- First position: Instructor, Oregon Institute of Technology
- Current position: Professor, Oregon Institute of Technology
- Donna Calhoun,
PhD, 1999, "A Cartesian grid method for solving the
streamfunction-vorticity equations in irregular geometries"
- L. G. Ted Stern, PhD,
1996, "An Explicitly Conservative Method for Time-Accurate Solution of
Hyperbolic Partial Differential Equations on Embedded Chimera Grids"
- Chaoming Zhang, PhD,
1996, "Immersed Interface Methods for Hyperbolic Systems of Partial
Differential Equations with Discontinuous Coefficients"
- First position: Postdoc, Rice University
- Current position: Co-founder, CFO, and Chairman, Veritas-MSI
- Zhilin Li, PhD,
1994, "The Immersed Interface Method --- A Numerical Approach for Partial
Differential Equations with Interfaces"
- First position: Postdoc, UCLA
- Current position: Professor, North Carolina State University
- Keh-Ming Shyue, PhD, 1993,
"Front Tracking Methods based on Wave Propagation"
- First position: Postdoc, SUNY Stony Brook
- Current position: Professor, National Taiwan University
- Richard P. Beyer, PhD, 1989,
"A computational model of the cochlea using the immersed boundary method"
- First position: Postdoc, University of Washington
- Current position: Researcher, University of Washington
Students at other universities, co-advised:
Christiane Helzel, PhD, 2000, "Numerical Approximation of Conservation
Laws with Stiff Source Term for the Modelling of Detonation Waves"
- Primary Advisor: Gerhard Warnecke, University of Magdeburg
- First position: postdoc, Courant Institute, NYU
- Current position: Professor, Heinrich Heine University Dusseldorf
- Jan Olav Langseth, PhD 1995,
- Primary Advisor: Aslak Tveito, University of Oslo
- Current position: Norwegian Research Defence Establishment, Oslo
- Carsten Schulz-Rinne, PhD, 1993,
"The Riemann Problem for Two-Dimensional Gas Dynamics and New Limiters for
- Primary Advisor: Rolf Jeltsch, ETH-Zurich
- Current position: Munich Reinsurance Company
Rolf Walder, PhD, 1994,
"Some aspects of the computational dynamics of astrophysical nebulae"
- First position: Postdoc, ETH-Zurich
- Primary Advisor: H. Nussbaumer, ETH-Zurich
- Current position: Professor, Ecole Normale Superieure, Lyon
- Chris Vogl (NSF Postdoctoral Fellow), now at Lawrence Livermore Lab
- Knut Waagan, (now at Norwegian Defence Research Establishment, Oslo)
- Peter Blossey
(now in Atmospheric Sciences)
- Sorin Mitran
(now at University of North Carolina)