- (co-PI) "Ice penetrating support infrastructure," $435,000 over
one year, DARPA, (with D. Winebrenner, R. Moritz, T. Elam, and M. Stewart),
- (PI) "Software-defined acoustic modems for underwater communications,"
$50,000 over 18 months, APL Strategic Applied Research
Program, April 2007.
- (PI) "A smart sensor web for ocean observation: system design,
modeling, and optimization," $1.5 million over three years, NASA
Advanced Information Systems Technology Program (with S. Roy - UW, Y.
Chao - JPL/UCLA, A. Gray, B.M. Howe, W.L.J. Fox), Sept. 2006 - present.
- (PI) "Automated multi-tone waveform processing for communications
signal identification," $900,000 over three years, Army Research
Office (with J. Pitton and A.K. Das), June 2006-present.
- (PI) "Efficient synthesis of quantum logic circuits by rotation-based
quantum operators and unitary functional bi-decomposition," $25,000
over six months, (seed funding - with Massoud Pedram, USC), 2005-2006.
- (co-PI) "Decision analysis and support systems for long-range,
long-duration NASA solar system exploration missions," (with A. Gray, R.
Easter, E. Lamassoure, N. Renno - Univ. of Michigan,
E. Baker - UMass Amherst), 2004-2006.
- (co-PI) "Distributed sensors and systems for space missions:
development of feasible space mission concepts for the Moon and Mars,
from launch to deployment"
(with A. Gray, S. Darden, P. Illsley, A. Karapetian, J. Law, G. Mungas, M.
Vozoff, J. Ziemer), 2004-2006.
- (PI) "Biosynthetic engineering for the exploration of space,"
$50,000 over one year, (seed funding - with Chris Adami - Caltech - and
Virendra Sarohia), 2004, web link.
- (co-PI) "Reconfigurable protocol chip for satellite
networks,"$900,000 over three years, NASA Advanced Information
Systems Technology Program (with A. Gray, C. Okino, C. Brambora
and T. Bialas - Goddard Space Flight Center),
- (co-PI) "Dual channel high rate prototype system for aeronautical
telemetry in the SHF Band,"$264,000, US Air Force (Edwards
AFB) (with T.-Y Yan, C. Okino, H. Tsou, D. Lee, A. Gray, and S.
Darden), April 2003.
- (PI) "Collective behavior of biological swarms: system modeling,
analysis, and algorithmic development for distributed dynamic resource
allocation problems," $200,000, JPL Director's Research and
Development Fund (with M. Dickinson - Caltech, A. Martinoli -
and R.J. Marks II - UW), Jan. 2003.
- (co-PI) "A spectrally efficient, high data rate telemetry system for
operation under adverse channel conditions in the 3-30 GHz
range,"$550,000 over 18 months, US Air Force (Edwards AFB)
(with T.-Y Yan, M.K. Simon, H. Tsou, D. Lee, A. Gray, and S. Darden),
- (co-PI) "Implications of quantum information transmission for the Deep
Space Network," JPL TMOD, $75,000 for one year,
(with D. Divsalar, S. Dolinar, and F. Pollara), April 2001.
- (PI) "Design and implementation of a web based interactive guide to
performance evaluation of diversity systems over fading channels," (with
M.K. Simon), 2001.
- (PI) "Intelligent sensor and satellite networks for Earth science and
exploration," $825,000 over two years, NASA Advanced Information
Systems Technology Program (with A. Gray, T.-Y Yan, C. Wang, L. Clare
- Rockwell, R.J. Marks II - UW, and C. Mirchandani - Goddard Space Flight
Center), Jan. 2000.
- (PI) "Dynamic signal processing technologies for optical
communications," NASA Advanced Cross Enterprise Technology Development
Program, $450,000 for three years, June 1999.
- (co-PI) "Low cost dual navigation and high rate transceiver
technologies," NASA Advanced Cross Enterprise Technology Development
Program, $750,000 for three years, (with A. Gray and
J. Srinivasan), June 1999.
- (co-PI) "Low cost multi-Gbps transceiver technologies," NASA
Advanced Cross Enterprise Technology Development Program,
$1,335,000 for three years, (with A. Gray, M.K. Simon, D.
Divsalar, and N. Lay), June 1999.
- (co-PI) "Adaptive acquisition and tracking for the Ka-band array feed
antenna system," JPL Telecommunications and Mission Operations
Directorate, $50,000 for one year, August 1999 (with V.
Vilnrotter and D. Forte), plus $40,000 in mid-year funding, April
- (Co-I) System engineering of an open-source wireless text messaging
system - the Whiteberry hardware, software, and services platform
- (Co-I) "Development of new mobile messaging protocols, specifications,
and systems in a wireless (2G) Cellular Digital Packet Data (CDPD)
Network," AT&T Wireless Services (1994-1996).
- Co-author of numerous white papers in the field of data communications
for clients ranging from the Electronic Mail Association to McCaw Cellular
- (Co-founder) Development and prototyping of a correlation-based web
search and discovery engine (2005-2007). See
flash demo here (audio/video).
- (Co-founder) Development and prototyping of next-generation data
mining and collective forecasting technologies for applications in
financial markets (1999-2001).
- Internetwork Mobility: The CDPD Approach (M. Taylor, W. Waung,
and M. Banan), Prentice Hall, 1996.
- Introduction to Shannon Sampling & Interpolation Theory, (R.J.
Marks II), Springer, 1991.
- Advanced Topics in Shannon Sampling & Interpolation Theory,
(R.J. Marks II), Springer, 1993.
- Digital Communication over Fading Channels, (M.K. Simon and
M.-S. Alouini), Wiley-IEEE Press, 2004.
- Probability Distributions Involving Gaussian Random Variables: A
Handbook for Engineers and Scientists, (M.K. Simon), Springer, 2006.