I have this picture hanging in my office. I took it from the top of Boston Peak in the North Cascade mountains, in September 2005. Boston Peak does not get climbed often – it has a bad reputation for loose rock, and a gruesome fatal fall from near the top is a well-known tale. But there is a register at the top. Someone wrote in it: "This is the most intense place I have ever been." That about sums it up.
This picture, without the labels, has been on my wall for a few years, but I recently realized something about it that makes it even more special. Most prominent is Forbidden Peak, with its pyramidal top and famous west, north, and (coming right at you in the picture) east ridges. In the distance to the left are Mt. Baker and Mt. Shuksan. Between the two is a ski traverse I did a couple years ago, coming up the Eldorado Glacier on the left, traversing to the Inspiration Glacier, Klawati Glacier, and North Klawati Glacier. Along the way we visited Austera, Klawati, and Primus Peaks. This picture shows the area in September, when the snow cover is low. But in the spring we were able to ski around the NE buttress of Austera Peak onto the large and gentle slope of the North Klawati Glacier. Pretty cool stuff.
Professional associations – Jonathan M. Karpoff
Here are some of the organizations with which I have some connection and which I support:
• I am currently an Associate Editor of the following research journals (listed alphabetically):
Previous activities and causes:
• I support and (when asked) participate at The Ph.D Project
• I support and have served on the board of the Puget Sound Community School
• I previously served as President and am currently a Trustee for Financial Management Association International
• I was the Initial Director of the UW's Environmental Management Program, which is now a part of the UW's Program on the Environment (PoE)
• From 1989 - 2003 I was Managing Editor of the Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis
• From 2004-2007 I was the Director of the Foster School's CFO Forum
• From 2010 - 2016 I was an Associate Editor for Management Science
• From 2012 - 2015 I was a member of the Searle Civil Justice Institute Foreign Corrupt Practices Act Task Force