Debasis Dawn is an Associate Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, School of Engineering and Technology at University of Washington, Tacoma. He received his Bachelor of Engineering (B.E) from Jadavpur Univ., India in 1986, M.Tech from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kanpur, India in 1989 and Ph.D degrees from Tohoku Univ., Japan in 1993 all in electrical engineering.
He was Research Associate at Tohoku Univ., during 1993 to 1998 and was engaged in doing research in the area of development of RF/Microwave/Millimeter-Wave integrated circuits and Millimeter-Wave Photonic circuits for RF-photonic interactions. He was Research Engineer at Fujitsu Laboratories Limited, Japan during 1998 to 2004. His developed ICs at Fujitsu were commercialized and used in automotive radar of Toyota vehicles. In 2005 he joined SONY Corp., Japan and held Sr. MMIC Design Engineer position. His developed ICs at SONY were used in PlayStation. During 2006~2012 he was a Research Engineer at Georgia Electronic Design Center and Adjunct Faculty at the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering of Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta. At Georgia Tech he was leading the research efforts in the development of RF Front-end circuits, system-on-chip solutions for gigabit Wireless Personal Area Network (WPAN), radar, and wireless sensors applications using silicon-based CMOS/SiGe process technologies. In 2012 he joined Electrical and Computer Engineering department of North Dakota State University as an Assistant Professor and has been promoted to Associate Professor with tenure in 2018. In 2018 he joined University of Washington, Tacoma as Associate Professor with tenure. His recent research interests are CMOS Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits (RFIC) development for new generation of highly integrated multifunctional devices, circuits and systems which promises a wide range of applications in science, engineering and medicine.
He is serving as reviewers of numerous technical journals such as IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques (T-MTT), Electronics Letter, IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters and in the technical program review committee member of IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques Society (IEEE MTT-S) International Microwave Symposium (IMS) in the in the "power amplifier devices and circuits" and held session chair positions numerous times at IMS. He has served as NSF panelist. He has published more than 60 papers in international journals and conferences and holds two US patents. He is a senior member of IEEE.
[New!] NASA funds $289,961 SBIR Phase-II with industry partner KalScott Engg. Inc., to develop Chip-Based ADS-B for High Density, Low Altitude UAV Operations .
NASA funds $40,000 SBIR Phase-I with industry partner KalScott Engg. Inc., to develop Chip-Based ADS-B for High Density, Low Altitude UAV Operations .
Integrated Circuits Research Lab Established at NDSU .
NSF funds $362,865 to develop a new research infrastructure for Body Area Network (BAN) sensor IC characterization for Cyber Physical Systems (CPS) Applications .
North Dakota Department of Commerce funds $100,000 to develop CMOS Power Amplifier for mobile phones that eliminates today's key challenges of cost, size and battery-power .
Publications (Full List):
1. D. Mitra, S.B. Hamidi, P. Roy, C. Biswas, A. Biswas, and D. Dawn, "Radio frequency reliability studies of CMOS RF integrated circuits for ultra-thin flexible packages", Electronics Letters, vol. 56 issue 6, pp 280-282, Mar. 2020.
2. Debasis Dawn, Jabir Mohammed Patel, Mohammad Wasil Nasry, and S. Babak Hamidi, "A Novel RF Energy Harvester", IEEE MTT-S International Microwave and RF Conference (IMaRC) Dec. 2019.
3. S. Babak Hamidi, and Debasis Dawn, "A 900/1900-MHz Band-Switchable CMOS Power Amplifier", IEEE MTT-S International Microwave and RF Conference (IMaRC) Dec. 2019.
4. P. Roy and D. Dawn, "Fully integrated CMOS power amplifier using resistive current combining technique", IET Microw. Antennas & Propag., vol 12, issue 5, pp 826~832, Apr. 2018.
5. Arka Biswas, S. Babak Hamidi, Chitralekha Biswas, Palash Roy, Dipankar Mitra and Debasis Dawn, "A Novel CMOS RF Energy Harvester for Self-Sustainable Applications", IEEE Wireless and Microwave Technology Conf. (WAMICON), Apr. 2018.
6. S. Babak Hamidi and Debasis Dawn, "Fully Integrated LTE-Band CMOS Tunable Power Amplifier", IEEE Wireless and Microwave Technology Conf. (WAMICON), Apr. 2017.
7. P. Roy and D. Dawn, "A High Power Fully Integrated Single-Chip CMOS Transmitter for Wireless Communication of Unmanned Aircraft System", Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., 59: 432~439, Feb. 2017.
8. D. Mitra, P. Roy and D. Dawn, "A Variable Gain CMOS Phase Shifter for Phased Array Antenna Applications", Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., 59: 324~328, Feb. 2017.
9. P. Roy and D. Dawn, "A high-power and high-efficiency CMOS VCO", Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., 57: 2437~2441, Oct. 2015.
10. Debasis Dawn, "60GHz CMOS Transmitter Front-end with Built-in Temperature Sensor", Asia Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), Sendai, Japan, Nov. 2014.
11. Debasis Dawn, "Millimeter-Wave CMOS Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits Development and its Potential Applications" (Invited), Asia Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), Sendai, Japan, Nov. 2014.
12. Debasis Dawn, "Millimeter-Wave CMOS Switching Power Amplifiers", IEEE MTT International Microwave and RF Conference (IMaRC) Dec. 2013.
13. A. Sanyal, A. Mendoza-Radal, B. Ijaz, and D. Dawn, "CMOS Phase Shifter for Conformal Phased Array Beamformer Applications", IEEE International Conference on Wireless for Space and Extreme Environments (WiSEE) Nov. 2013.
14. E. Juntunen, D. Dawn, and J. Papapolymerou, "CMOS 45GHz Vector Modulator with Gain/Phase Correction Through Calibration", Electronics Letters, vol. 49 iss. 4, pp 267-269, Feb. 2013.
15. E. Juntunen, D. Dawn, and J. Papapolymerou, "High-Power, High-Efficiency CMOS Millimeter-Wave Oscillators", IET Microw. Antennas Propag., vol. 6 iss. 10, pp 1158-1163, 2012.
16. E. Juntunen, Debasis Dawn, Stephane Pinel, and Joy Laskar, "A High-Efficiency, High-Power Millimeter-Wave Oscillator Using A Feedback Class-E Power Amplifier in 45-nm CMOS", IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 430-432, Aug. 2011.
17. E. Juntunen, M.C.-H Leung, F. Barale, A. Rachmadugu, D. A. Yeh, B. G. Perumana, P. Sen, D. Dawn, S. Sarkar, S. Pinel, and J. Laskar, "A 60-GHz 38-pJ/bit 3.5-Gb/s 90-nm CMOS OOK Digital Radio", IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., vol. 58, No. 2, pp. 348-355, Feb. 2010.
18. Debasis Dawn, Padmanava Sen, Saikat Sarkar, Bevin Perumana, Stephane Pinel, and Joy Laskar, "60-GHz Integrated Transmitter Development in 90-nm CMOS", IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., vol. 57, No. 10, pp. 2354-2367, Oct. 2009.
19. Joy Laskar, Stephane Pinel, Debasis Dawn, Saikat Sarkar, Bevin Perumana, and Padmanava Sen, "The Next Wireless Wave is a Millimeter Wave", Microwave Journal, vol. 50, No. 8, pp. 22-36, Aug. 2007.
20. C. Patterson, D. Dawn, and J. Papapolymerou, "A W-Band CMOS PA Encapsulated in an Organic Flip-Chip Package", IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Montreal, Canada, June 2012.
21. E. Juntunen, W. Khan, C. Patterson, S. Bhattacharya, D. Dawn, J. Laskar and J. Papapolymerou, "An LCP Packaged High-Power, High-Efficiency CMOS Millimeter-Wave Oscillator", IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Baltimore, MD, June 2011.
22. Debasis Dawn, S. Sarkar, P. Sen, B. Perumana, M. Leung, N. Mallavarpu, S. Pinel, and J. Laskar "60GHz CMOS Power Amplifier with 20-dB-Gain and 12dBm Psat", IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Boston, MA, pp. 537-540, Jun. 2009.
23. P. B. Vadivelu, P. Sen, S. Sarkar, D. Dawn, S. Pinel, and J. Laskar "Integrated CMOS mm-wave Phase Shifters for Single Chip Portable Radar", IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Boston, MA, pp. 565-568, Jun. 2009.
24. Debasis Dawn, Saikat Sarkar, Padmanava Sen, Stephane Pinel, and Joy Laskar "60GHz Silicon-Based Tunable Amplifier", 38th European Microwave Conf. (EuMC), Amsterdam, The Netherlands, pp. 452-455, Oct. 2008.
25. Debasis Dawn, S. Sarkar, P. Sen, B. Perumana, D. Yeh, S. Pinel, and J. Laskar "17-dB-Gain CMOS Power Amplifier at 60GHz", IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Atlanta, GA, pp. 859-862, Jun. 2008.
26. Saikat Sarkar, Padmanava Sen, Bevin Perumana, David Yeh, Debasis Dawn, Stephane Pinel, and Joy Laskar, "60GHz Single-Chip 90nm CMOS Radio with Integrated Signal Processor", IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Atlanta, GA, Jun. 2008.
27. S. Pinel, S. Sarkar, P. Sen, B. Perumana, D. Yeh, Debasis Dawn, and J. Laskar, "A 90nm CMOS 60GHz Radio", ISSCC Dig. Tech Papers, pp. 130-131, Feb. 2008.
28. Debasis Dawn, S. Pinel, S. Sarkar, P. Sen, B. Perumana, D. Yeh and J. Laskar "Development of CMOS Based Circuits for 60GHz WPAN applications", 2007 IEEE International Conference on Ultra-WideBand, Singapore, pp. 129-133, Sept. 2007.