S. Marc Cohen
Department of Philosophy
University of Washington
Publications Available Online
Reprints of most of my writings are available by clicking on the links below. There are a few items listed on my bibliography for which electronic copies do not exist. In those cases you will have to go to the original sources.
- Accidental Beings in Aristotle’s Ontology, in Reason and Analysis
in Ancient Greek Philosophy: Essays in Honor of David Keyt, ed. by G. Anagnostopoulos and F. D. Miller, Jr. (Dordrecht: Springer, 2013), 231-242.
- Alteration and Persistence: Form and Matter in the Physics and De Generatione et Corruptione,
in C. Shields (ed.), Oxford Handbook of Aristotle. ed. by C. Shields (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2012), 205-226.
- Aristotle’s Substance, in J. G. Hernandez (ed.), Themes in Ancient and Modern Philosophy. Dubuque, IA: Kendall-Hunt, 37.
- Substances, in G. Anagnostopoulos (ed.), A Companion to Aristotle. Oxford: Blackwell (2009), 192-212.
- Kooky Objects Revisited: Aristotles Ontology, Metaphilosophy 39 (2008), 3-19.
- Analyzing Platos Arguments: Plato and Platonism (with David Keyt), in Methods of Interpreting
Plato and his Dialogues, ed. by J. Klagge and N. Smith (Oxford University Press, 1992), 173-200.
- Hylomorphism and Functionalism, in Essays on Aristotle’s De
Anima, ed. by M. Nussbaum and A. Rorty (Oxford University Press, 1992), 57-73.
- Aristotle on the Principle of Non-Contradiction, Canadian Journal of Philosophy 16 (1986), 359-370.
- Aristotle and Individuation, Canadian Journal of Philosophy, suppl. vol. 10 (1984), 41-65.
- Individual and Essence in Aristotle’s Metaphysics, Paideia (1978), 75-85.
- Essentialism in Aristotle, Review of Metaphysics 31 (1978), 387-405.
- The Psychology of Justice in Plato: a Response to Cooper (1977).
- Plato’s Method of Division, in Patterns in Plato’s Thought, J.M.E. Moravcsik (ed.). Dordrecht: Reidel (1973), 181-191
- The Logic of the Third Man, Philosophical Review 80 (1971), 448-475.
- Socrates on the Definition of Piety: Euthyphro 10A-11B, Journal of the History of
Philosophy 9 (1971), 1-13; reprinted with minor alterations in The Philosophy of Socrates,
ed. by G. Vlastos (Garden City: Doubleday, 1971), 158-176. Reprinted in Plato’s Euthyphro,
Apology, and Crito, ed. by R. Kamtekar (Rowman & Littlefield, 2005), 35-48.
- The One and the Many (with Gareth Matthews), Review of Metaphysics 21 (1968), 630-655.
- Wants and Lacks (with Gareth Matthews), Journal of Philosophy 64 (1967), 455-456.
- Review of Substantial Knowledge: Aristotle’s Metaphysics, by C.D.C. Reeve (2002)
- Review of Primary Ousia, by Michael Loux (1993)
- Review of Substance and Essence in Aristotle, by Charlotte Witt (1992)
- Review of Aristotle’s Metaphysics: Books Zeta, Eta, Theta, and Iota, by Montgomery Furth (1988)
- Review of Divine Substance, by Christopher Stead (1982)
- Review of Socrates, Philosophy in Plato’s Early Dialogues, by Gerasimos Santas (1981)
- Review of The Concept of Pleasure, by David L. Perry (1969)
Links on PhilPapers
Loading papers from S. Marc Cohen's profile... (Click here
if the papers don't load.)
Return Marc Cohen's Home Page
Send e-mail to Professor Cohen at