Sayings to live by ...
Sayings to live by ...
- The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, then the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.
- Anything worth doing is worth doing right.
- We write to find out what we think.
- A scientist should use statistics the way a drunk uses a lamppost:
not for enlightenment but just for orientation.
- 10.0 times 0.1 is hardly ever 1.0000000.
- Most problems precisely defined are already partially solved.
- When you believe in things that you don't understand, then you suffer.
Stevie Wonder ("Superstition")
- In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, though, there is a difference.
Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut
- Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.
Pablo Picasso (???)
- A careful reading of history shows that most people don't read history.
- Experience is a hard teacher. The test comes before the lesson.
- Measure twice. Cut once.
- The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to become sharper.
- Bad writing is usually imprecise writing, and its badness usually stems from the writer not having taken the time to think through just what they mean to say. The cobwebs of the mind are revealed in bad prose.
Joshua Micah Marshall, 31 Dec 2005
- When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.
Arthur C. Clarke, in the essay "Hazards of Prophecy: The Failure of Imagination", in Profiles of the Future (1962)
- Cutting the pieces into smaller ones never makes a jigsaw puzzle simpler.
- I like to keep an open mind, but not so open that my brains fall out.
Arthur Sulzberger (New York Times chairman) (or ???)
- Scientists want to understand the earth, but they don't, so they build a model. Then they have two things they don't understand.
- Don't believe everything you think.
- To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle.
- The first principle of composition is to foresee or determine the shape of what is to come and pursue that shape.
Strunk and White, The Elements of Style (1935)
- Freedom is a hard thing to preserve. In order to have enough you must have too much.
- Nothing in science is ever proven. Future scientists will find our errors, certainly in detail and possibly in fundamentals.
- Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. It causes you to work not on what you like, but what you'd like to like.
Paul Graham "How to do what you love"
- A wave process is any process where I can get a solution by integrating along wave characteristics.
It doesn't matter whether or not I can see the waves propagating.
- If you have a watch then you know what time it is. If you have two watches you can never be sure.
Back to Kessler home page