I love to travel. It’s my primary hobby and something that keeps me both energized and grounded. When I was younger, my parents took me on a lot of trips across the U.S. by train, which is what got me started in my desire to take in as much of the world as possible. While in college, internships took me all over the United States, and while in grad school and as a faculty member, conference travel and research internships led me to various countries across 5 continents.
I recognize that this is a huge privilege to be able to travel and have also started to consider the carbon footprint of world-wide travel. We will see if I end up completing my bucket list or not!
Travel Bucket List:
- Visit all 50 US states – Completed August 2014! Last state visited was Arkansas.
- Visit all 7 continents – Currently at 5/7
- See the 7 New Wonders of the World – Currently at 2/7
- Go on a safari in Africa – Completed June 2014! Hope to do more of these as it has been my favorite trip ever.
- Snorkel and dive in Bora Bora – Completed – Honeymoon in March 2011!
- Visit every U.S. National Park – Currently at 22/59
- Visit the Galapagos
- Visit India
- Northern Lights & polar bear safari – Saw Northern Lights from WA on 5/27/17 – still want to head north for more!
- Scuba dive in the Great Barrier Reef
- Go skiing in the Swiss Alps
- Backpack in the Enchantments – Completed September 2019!
- World map of countries visited (21/195):
- World Continents visited (5/7): North America, Europe, Asia, Africa, and Australia
- New Wonders of the World visited (2/7): Great Wall, Coliseum
- U.S. States visited (50/50): Alabama, Alaska, Arizona*, Arkansas, California*, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia*, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois*, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts*, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio*, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington*, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming (*indicates I lived there for at least 3 months).