Linguistics 575A: Reading questions for semantic representation systems
- How does it do quantification? Does it underspecify scope?
- What does it say about the appropriate semantic representation for NPs? Do all NPs get the same (type of) representation?
- What claims are made about the crosslinguistic applicability/universality of the systems? On what basis are these claims made?
- What relation (if any) does it have to the predicate calculus, and how
does it differ?
- What are the core phenomena that it's built around? What problems
is it trying to solve, and how does it solve them?
- Where does it draw the semantics/pragmatics boundary?
- How does it deal with illocutionary force?
- Can it be used for calculating inference/logical entailment?
- What is the intended connection between syntax and semantics? What flavor of
compositionality is expected?
Back to main course page