|corpus callosum||nuclei||cerebral cortex||colliculi|
Instructions: Complete the following sentences using words from the Word Bank.
1. The Latin word meaning "bark" of a tree is used for the area of the brain called the ________________.
2. The midbrain includes structures such as the superior and inferior __________ and red nucleus.
3. A structure important for movement and balance is the ______________.
4. The central nervous system is divided into two major parts: the ____________ and the __________.
5. In the central nervous system, collections of neurons are called _____________.
6. A bump or bulge on the cortex is called a __________and a groove is called a _______________.
7. One important function of the ________________________ is to control body temperature.
8. The brain contains about 100 billion ____________ and trillions of "support cells" called __________.
9. The limbic system is a group of structures that includes the __________________________, the hippocampus, mammillary bodies and cingulate gyrus.
10. In the Peripheral Nervous System, a collection of axons is called a ___________.
11. The brain is divided into two halves called _______________________.
12. In the peripheral nervous system, collections of neurons are called ______________.
13. The _____________receives sensory information and relays this information to the __________________.
14. One part of the limbic system that is important for memory and learning is called the ___________________.
15. The right and left sides of the cerebral cortex are connected by a thick band of nerve fibers called the ____________________________.
16. In the central nervous system, collections of axons are called_______________.
|BACK TO:||Divisions of the Nervous System||Exploring the Nervous System||Table of Contents|