Michael G. Foster
Endowed Professor of
- Data and algorithm pricing
- Sharing economy
- Social media and user generated content
- Online opinion formation
- Health IT
- Economic and social networks (A tutorial given at the INFORMS Annual Meeting, Seattle, November 7, 2007)
- Open source software development
- Peer-to-peer network
- Digital content distribution channels
- Economics of Internet interconnectivity
- Online trust management
- Pricing of Internet services
- "Unifying Algorithmic and Theoretical Perspectives: Emotions in Online Reviews and Sales," with Y. Yu, Y. Yang, and J. Huang,
Management Information Systems Quarterly, forthcoming.
- "Microblogging Replies and Opinion Polarization:
A Natural Experiment," with Y. Lu, J. Wu, and J. Chen, Management
Information Systems Quarterly, forthcoming.
- "Turn Your Online Engagement in Chronic Disease
Management from Zero to Hero: A Multi-Dimensional Continuous-Time Evaluation,"
with T. Zhou, L. Yan, and Y. Wang, Management Science, forthcoming.
- "Competitive Entry of Information Goods under
Quality Uncertainty," with Z. Zhang, G. Nan, and M. Li, Management Science,
- "Learning to be Creative: A Mutually Exciting
Spatial Point Process Model for Idea Generation in Open Innovation," with V. Aggarwal
and E. Hwang, Information Systems Research 32(4) 1214-1235, 2021.
- "Freemium Pricing in Digital Games with Virtual
Currency," with Z. Meng and L. Hao, Information Systems Research 32(2) 481-496, 2021.
- "The Impact of Subscription Reciprocity on
Charitable Content Generation and Sharing: Evidence from Twitter on Giving
Tuesday," with J.X. Tan and Y. Lu, Management Information Systems Quarterly
45(2) 535-562, 2021.
- "Optimizing Two-Sided Promotion for
Transportation Network Companies: A Structural Model with Conditional Bayesian
Learning," with J. Zheng, F. Ren, and X. Chen, Information Systems Research
31(3) 692-714, 2020.
- "How Mega is the Mega? Exploring the Spillover
Effects of WeChat using Graphical Model," with J. Zheng, Z. Qi, and Y. Dou, Information
Systems Research 30(4) 1343-1362, 2019.
- "Who Wants Consumers To
Be Informed? Facilitating Information Disclosure in a Distribution Channel,"
with L. Hao, Information Systems Research 30(1) 34-49, 2019.
- "Disconfirmation Effect on Online Rating
Behavior: A Structural Model," with Y.-C. Ho and J. Wu, Information Systems
Research 28(3) 626-642, 2017.
- "Do I Follow My Friends or the Crowd?
Informational Cascades in Online Movie Ratings," with Y.J. Lee and K.
Hosanagar, Management Science 61(9) 2241-2258, 2015. (Management
Science Best Paper Award in Information Systems)
- "Feeling Blue? Go Online:
An Empirical Study of Online Supports among Patients," with L. Yan, Information
Systems Research 25(4) 690-709, 2014.
- "Social Networks and the
Diffusion of User-Generated Content: Evidence from YouTube," with A. Susarla
and C. Oh, Information Systems Research 23(1) 23-41, 2012. (Association for Information Systems
Best Publication of 2012 Award)
- "A Hidden Markov Model of
Developer Learning Dynamics in Open Source Software
Projects," with P.V. Singh and N. Youn, Information Systems Research 22(4) 790-807, 2011.
- "Network Effects: The
Influence of Social Capital on Open Source Project
Success," with P.V. Singh and V.S. Mookerjee, Management
Information Systems Quarterly 35(4) 813-829, 2011.
- "An Economic Analysis of Interconnection
Arrangements between Internet Backbone Providers," with I.R. Chiang and V.S.
Mookerjee, Operations Research 54(4) 776-788, 2006.
Recent Conference Papers
- "You might also like ...: Impact of ML-based Taste Clusters on Sales Diversity On Subscription-Based Platforms,"
with Y. Kan and U. Ananthakrishnan, WISE 2021.
- "Flow of the game: A Hidden Markov Model of player game-play and reward ads watching
behavior in online mobile games," with J. Deng and S. Lee, WISE 2020.
- "Many Hands Make Light Work: Referrals in Reward-Based Crowdfunding," with Y. Jiang and X. Chen, ICIS
- "How does Virtual Reality Matter? Survival
Analyses for Properties in an Online Real Estate Platform," with Z. Yan and Z.
Meng, ICIS 2020.
- "Content and Composition: The Impact of
Merchant Main Picture on Market Performance," with Z. Yan, U. Ananthakrishnan, and Y. Wang, ICIS 2020.
- "The Impact of Social Recognition on User-Generated
Evaluations," with J. Zhang, G. Yin, and J. Ding, ICIS 2020.
- "The Dark Side of Images: Effect of Customer
Generated Images on Product Assessment," with Y. Guan, Q. Wei, and G. Chen, ICIS
- "Facebook Paid Partnership: The Role of Relevance in
Video Sponsorship," with S. Doosti and S. Lee, WISE 2019.
is Like Money: A Demand Estimation for Paid-Knowledge Products," with Y. Jin,
J. Zheng, and J. Huang, WISE 2019.
Influence of Self-Regulation of Sharing Economy: Evidence from Unstructured
Data," with Z. Meng, Z. Lin, and Y. Wang, WITS 2019.
Influence in MOBA Game Business: The Tangle of Long and Short-term Relations,"
with X. Li, S. Zhou, and Y. Liu, WeB 2019.
- "Spoiled for Choice?
Personalized Recommendation for Healthcare Decisions: A Multi-Armed Bandit
Approach with a Dynamic Discrete-Choice Scheme," with T. Zhou, Y. Wang, and L.
Yan, CIST 2019.
- "Knowledge is Like Money: A Demand Estimation for Paid-Knowledge
Products," with Y. Jin, J. Zheng, and J. Huang, CIST 2019.
- "A Latent Class Model of Player Reward Ads Watching Behaviors in
Online Mobile Games," with J. Deng and S. Lee, CIST 2019.
- "What Makes Online Review Videos Helpful? Evidence from Product Review
Videos on YouTube," with K. Park and S. Lee, CIST 2019.
- "Influence of Peer-Based Monetary Incentive on Content Generation:
Evidence from a Social Media Site," with Z. Meng, Y.-C. Ho, and J. Wu, CIST
- "More Than Double Your Impact: An Empirical Study of Match-offer on
Crowdfunding Platforms," with Z. Fang and S. Xiao, CIST 2019.
- "Learning to be Creative: A Mutually Exciting Spatial Point Process
Model for Idea Generation in Open Innovation," with V. Aggarwal and E. Hwang, CIST
- "Facebook Paid Partnership: The Role of Relevance in Video
Sponsorship," with S. Doosti and S. Lee, CIST 2019.