PHIL 450: Study Questions for Coherentism
1. Explain or distinguish the following terms. You may use examples to do so:
Coherence Theory of Truth/Coherence Theory of Justification
symmetric/asymmetric justificatory relations
2. (a) What is the coherentists' way out of the regress problem? [Hint: How does the coherentists' account of reasoning differ from the foundationalists'?] (b) How can the coherentist take this way out without endorsing circular arguments?
3. What is the difference between a coherentist theory of truth and a coherentist theory of epistemic justification?
4. What is the plurality problem for the coherentist theory of truth?
5. (a) What is the input problem for the coherentist theory of epistemic justification? Explain how the example of the paranoid schizophrenic illustrates the input problem. (c) In response to this problem, Dancy argues that a coherentist can be an empiricist. Is this correct? [To adequately answer this question, you must distinguish between antecedent and subsequent security.]
6. What is the relation between the plurality problem and the input problem?