PHIL 440A: PAPER #2 (5-7 Pages)
Topic: What is the Fundamental Basis for Moral Judgment: Objective Principles or Sentiment Only?
In your paper, you should explain and critically evaluate the disagreement between Baier and Friedman on the role of principles of justice in moral judgment. Your paper should contain the following elements:
(1) You should briefly explain the moral point of view of the care perspective as advocated by Baier.
(2) In class we discussed three ways that Friedman claims that morally appropriate care requires justice. You should pick the one that you think makes the strongest case for her position and explain it with an example. The first time through, give an example involving an explicit appeal to principles--for example, explicit appeal to a right of a certain kind.
(3) You should consider how Baier would respond to Friedman on the issue you discuss under (2) above. In doing so, you should explain how Baier would argue that sentiment would provide a better solution to the problems raised by your example. Support your argument with cites to Baier.
(4) Explain how Friedman might respond to Baier's argument. This requires you to go beyond what Friedman says to consider what she might say. Your response should distinguish explicitly applying a principle and being implicitly sensitive to or implicitly responsive to principles of justice. Make sure you always distinguish between what Friedman actually says (for which you must provide cites) and what someone might say on her behalf.
(5) Consider how Baier would respond to the claim that morally appropriate care involves implicit sensitivity or implicit responsiveness to objective principles of justice. (Hint: She would not agree!)
(6) Your discussion of (1)-(5) should provide the basis for your own discussion of the following issue: What is the fundamental basis of morality—objective moral principles or sentiment only? Explain. In your discussion you must be sure to reply to at least one objection to your position.
IN YOUR PAPER, YOU MUST DISCUSS AT LEAST TWO OTHER PHILOSOPHERS FROM THIS COURSE, IN ADDITION TO BAIER AND FRIEDMAN.
DON’T FORGET TO COMPLY WITH THE PAPER GUIDELINES.
Paper #2 Deadlines:
(1) SUBMIT PAPER #2 INTRODUCTION TO CANVAS SITE BY MIDNIGHT ON WEDNESDAY NOV. 20. In your introduction, you must begin with an example that grabs the reader’s attention and serves to motivate the paper. Then you must provide an overview of the paper and conclude with a statement of the position that you will take in the paper. Don’t worry about arguing for anything in the introduction. Your goal should be for the reader to have a mental map of the paper and at least a preliminary understanding of what your conclusion will be.
(2) VOTE BY EMAIL FOR BEST PAPER #2 INTRODUCTION BY MIDNIGHT ON THURSDAY NOV. 21.
(3) SUBMIT PAPER #2 TO CANVAS SITE BY MIDNIGHT ON MONDAY NOV. 25.