EXPLORING LOGICAL SPACE
1. Properties and Propositions
4. Necessary/Sufficient/Necessary and Sufficient Conditions
6. Top-Down and Bottom-Up Reasoning
7. Proof vs. Equilibrium Reasoning
THE FIFTH/SIXTH COMMANDMENT FROM THE OLD TESTAMENT
Let K = Killing
Let W = Morally Wrong
Literal-minded way of understanding the Fifth/Sixth Commandment:
K ® W [Being a killing implies that an act is morally wrong]
What does this statement mean?
It is not possible for something to be K & -W.
Can you think of a counterexample?
AN EXAMPLE OF A VALID DEDUCTION WITH A FALSE CONCLUSION
(1) The moon is made of green cheese à Professor Talbott is a blue-nosed gopher.
(2) The moon is made of green cheese.
Conclusion: Professor Talbott is a blue-nosed gopher.