My policy is to ask that students requesting letters of recommendation provide me with the following:
- At least two weeks notice before the application deadline.
- A summary of the program you are applying to and of your interest in it. How does it complement and/or extend your previous studies (especially your coursework with me) and relate to your future plans? If you will submit a statement of purpose as part of your application, please give me a copy, even if it is only in draft form at the time you request the letter.
- If it has been a while since you had a class with me, a sample of your work in the class.
- A resume with your educational and work/professional background, accomplishments, and interests. Please highlight anything in particular that you believe I can speak to that your other letter writers might not be able to address.
- A copy of any necessary forms, clear indication of the deadline, and a stamped, addressed envelope or clear instructions for other methods of submission.