Our lab lab studies the molecular mechanisms of activation and regulation of TRPV1 channels. We use electrophysiology to study their functional properties, molecular biology to control their primary sequence (i.e. make mutations), and biochemistry to examine their interactions with other proteins. We are particularly interested in interactions. For ion channels, we must consider interactions between subunits within one channel, interactions with regulator proteins, interactions with the membrane, and interactions with small molecules such as second messengers. It is through understanding what interactions occur, when they occur, and how they have their effect that we make progress in addressing the function and role of ion channels within cells.
Sharona Gordon, Professor seg [at] uw.edu
Mika Munari, Research Scientist mawaya [at] uw.edu
Eric Senning, Postdoctoral Fellow endsen [at] uw.edu
Gilbert Martinez, Postdoctoral Fellow gman [at] uw.edu
I’m interested in membrane protein structure-function with an emphasis on the 6-TM voltage gated ion channel superfamily. I use a broad array of biochemical and biophysical techniques to study the energetics of channel activation/inactivation/closing and how channel environment (cell-type, lipid composition, etc.) influence the energetics.
Mario Rosasco, Postdoctoral Fellow mrosasco [at] uw.edu
Mario received his BA in biology from the University of Chicago in 2009, where he specialized in neuroscience and endocrinology. He was awarded his Ph.D. from the department of Pharmacology at the University of Washington in 2014, and has been a postdoc in the Gordon lab since 2015.
Anastasiia Stratiievska, Graduate Student nastyna [at] uw.edu
University of Washington
HSB Room I-312
- ASBMB - The American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- The Biophysical Society
- SGP - The Society of General Physiologists
- RStudio - A graphical interface for the R statistical programming environment
- Patcher's Power Tools - Useful electrophysiology libraries for IGOR Pro
- GIMP - A free, open-source raster drawing program
- Inkscape - A free, open-source vector drawing program
- Fiji - The ImageJ image analysis software, pre-packaged with many useful libraries