What's new in the group?
- Here is a wonderful article by Anna Wargula, a student in our recent Friday Harbor Summer School "Estuarine and Coastal Fluid Dynamics," on the joys of doing recearch from a ship in Admiralty Inlet.
- Dr. MacCready joins the new Encyclopedia of Puget Sound as a member of the Editorial Board, handling all contributions on the Sound physical system, from tides and currents to geology and weather, October 2012.
- New website for the PNWTOX Modeling effort
- New website for the UW Coastal Modeling Group
- Congratulations to Dr. Sally Warner who successfully completed her PhD in September 2012. Sally will be joining Jim Moum's group at OSU for a postdoc, after traveling the world for 6 months with the help of a Bonderman Fellowship. Sally also received First Place for Best Graduate Student Talk at the Nov. 2011 CERF meeting. We'll miss you Sally!
- Congratulations to Dr. Sarah Giddings who recently received a highly-competetive NSF postdoctoral fellowship to continue work in our group. She will be studying the physics controlling the exchange of water between estuarine and coastal systems, with a focus on the remarkable flow reversal events that occur when Columbia River plume water reaches to the mouth of the Strait of Juan de Fuca.
- Here is a video of Dr. MacCready giving a seminar at NCAR in Boulder, CO, 10/16/2012, "An overview of the physics of estuarine circulation, with biogeochemical implications."
Alford, M.H., J.B. Mickett, S. Zhang, P. MacCready, Z. Zhao, and J. Newton. 2012. Internal waves on the Washington continental shelf. Oceanography 25(2):66–79, http://dx.doi.org/10.5670/oceanog.2012.43. [URL]
Sutherland, D.A., P. MacCready, N.S. Banas, and L.F. Smedstad (2011) A Model Study of the Salish Sea Estuarine Circulation. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 41, 1125-1143. [PDF]
MacCready, P. (2011) Calculating Estuarine Exchange Flow using Isohaline Coordinates. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 41, 1116-1124. [PDF]
Martin, W. D., and P. MacCready (2011), Influence of large-scale tidal asymmetry on subtidal dynamics in the western Strait of Juan de Fuca, J. Geophys. Res., 116, C02009, doi:10.1029/2010JC006363. [LINK, use 92490649 as both ID and password].
MacCready, P., and N.S. Banas (2011) Residual Circulation, Mixing, and Dispersion. In: Wolanski E and McLusky DS (eds.) Treatise on Estuarine and Coastal Science, Vol 2, pp. 75–89. Waltham: Academic Press. [please email me to ask for a pdf]
MacCready, P. and W.R. Geyer (2010) Advances in Estuarine Physics. Annual Review of Marine Science, 2, 35-58, 10.1146/annurev-marine-120308-081015 [URL]