What's new in the group?
- New review paper on estuaries: Geyer, W. R., and P. MacCready (2014) The Estuarine Circulation. Annu. Rev. Fluid Mech. 2014. 46:175–97, 10.1146/annurev-fluid-010313-141302. [URL]
- Here is a wonderful article by Anna Wargula, a student in our recent Friday Harbor Summer School "Estuarine and Coastal Fluid Dynamics," on the joys of doing recearch from a ship in Admiralty Inlet.
- Dr. MacCready joins the new Encyclopedia of Puget Sound as a member of the Editorial Board, handling all contributions on the Sound physical system, from tides and currents to geology and weather, October 2012.
- New website for the PNWTOX Modeling effort
- New website for the UW Coastal Modeling Group
- Congratulations to Dr. Sally Warner who successfully completed her PhD in September 2012. Sally will be joining Jim Moum's group at OSU for a postdoc, after traveling the world for 6 months with the help of a Bonderman Fellowship. Sally also received First Place for Best Graduate Student Talk at the Nov. 2011 CERF meeting. We'll miss you Sally!
- Congratulations to Dr. Sarah Giddings who recently received a highly-competetive NSF postdoctoral fellowship to continue work in our group. She will be studying the physics controlling the exchange of water between estuarine and coastal systems, with a focus on the remarkable flow reversal events that occur when Columbia River plume water reaches to the mouth of the Strait of Juan de Fuca.
- Here is a video of Dr. MacCready giving a seminar at NCAR in Boulder, CO, 10/16/2012, "An overview of the physics of estuarine circulation, with biogeochemical implications."
- Dr. MacCready interviewed about Tsunami Debris 3/30/2012. http://www.king5.com/news/quake/Growing-urgency-over-Japan-tsunami-debris-heading-our-way-145206105.html
Geyer, W. R., and P. MacCready (2014) The Estuarine Circulation. Annu. Rev. Fluid Mech. 2014. 46:175–97, 10.1146/annurev-fluid-010313-141302. [URL]
Alford, M.H., J.B. Mickett, S. Zhang, P. MacCready, Z. Zhao, and J. Newton. 2012. Internal waves on the Washington continental shelf. Oceanography 25(2):66–79, http://dx.doi.org/10.5670/oceanog.2012.43. [URL]
Sutherland, D.A., P. MacCready, N.S. Banas, and L.F. Smedstad (2011) A Model Study of the Salish Sea Estuarine Circulation. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 41, 1125-1143. [PDF]
MacCready, P. (2011) Calculating Estuarine Exchange Flow using Isohaline Coordinates. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 41, 1116-1124. [PDF]
Martin, W. D., and P. MacCready (2011), Influence of large-scale tidal asymmetry on subtidal dynamics in the western Strait of Juan de Fuca, J. Geophys. Res., 116, C02009, doi:10.1029/2010JC006363. [LINK, use 92490649 as both ID and password].
MacCready, P., and N.S. Banas (2011) Residual Circulation, Mixing, and Dispersion. In: Wolanski E and McLusky DS (eds.) Treatise on Estuarine and Coastal Science, Vol 2, pp. 75–89. Waltham: Academic Press. [please email me to ask for a pdf]
MacCready, P. and W.R. Geyer (2010) Advances in Estuarine Physics. Annual Review of Marine Science, 2, 35-58, 10.1146/annurev-marine-120308-081015 [URL]