Pre-GSA Week

It’s the week before the Geological Society of America annual meeting. AAAAGGGH!!!!

Here’s a preview of what I’m working on:

Google Earth image with 1940 aerial image overlay (and grid) showing Puyallup River valley between Puyallup and Tacoma. Image from Puget Sound River History Project.

As environmental science instructors, we like to hope we can get our students to see local environmental issues in the same context we do. This is often difficult to do. Google Earth, however, has a few tools that make it easier to put local issues in a broader context. I’m going to use an exercise I’ve been developing as an example of how to do this. Along the way, I’ll be sharing the tools that allowed me to construct this exercise, so that the idea can be adapted to other locations and other environmental issues. The tools include both features within Google Earth (e.g. historical imagery) and outside (e.g  GDAL/OGR). This is what I’ll be presenting as a poster in session T160 on Tuesday (see also: T160 talks on Monday) and answering questions about in session P6 on Sunday.

I haven’t yet figured out the rest of my schedule. I know I’ll be going to the session on environmental magnetism on Sunday AM (it just happens to be in the same room as ours is later in the day…) and Josh F.’s talk on obsidian. I hope to catch up on some of the near surface/applied geophysics goings on, too. Any suggestions?

Also, apparently there’s a geobloggers’ meetup, though I forget where and when. Sunday night, I believe. The Digital Innovations group was thinking of springing for beer at our session to foster the same sort of interaction, but costs spiraled out of control. So, off to the pub after the session, I guess.

One Comment

1. Hi Peter,
    I think the geobloggers are planning to meet up Monday night at 8pm at Tugboat. Hope you can join us!
    Callan