Informatics Training for CDC Public Health Advisors
Information Technology Procurement
Instructor: Patrick O’Carroll, MD, MPH
Teaching methods: Lecture & discussion.
Topics to be covered:
- The "buy or build" fallacy
- Enterprise information architecture and IT procurement
- Requirements analysis and IT procurement
- A stepwise approach to IT procurement
By the end of this session, students will be able to:
- Describe the principles that guide a successful IT procurement effort;
- Describe the role of IT procurement as it relates to the overall information architecture and information resource management (IRM) plan of the enterprise;
- Define a requirements analysis, and discuss how to develop this end-user specification;
- Manage an effective and defensible IT procurement process, from specification through purchase, implementation, and system maintenance and modification.
References & suggested readings
- Gaston SJ. Getting the right system for the right price: Strategies for successful management. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1997.
Return to index