SUTURING AND MINOR WOUNDS
- Non-absorbable: natural--silk; synth--nylon, tevdek,dermalon,
proline (proline good if risk of infection)
- Absorbable (takes about 3 wks): natural--catgut (reg.
short-lasting, chromic long-lasting), synth --vicryl,
- Natural materials elicit more inflammatory reactions
- Use non-absorbable for fascial repairs (e.g. herniae)
- Skin on palms and soles takes about 10d to heal (less for
- DO NOT CLOSE BITE WOUNDS! (human or animal)
- Hand lacerations < 2cm long heal more quickly without sutures
than with (antibiotic ointment & gauze dressing only) (BMJ 325:299,
See also "Tetanus"