Ming Fan is an associate professor in information systems at Foster School of Business,
University of Washington. He received his B.S. from
Nanjing University, China and Ph.D. degree in information systems management
the business school in University of
Texas at Austin. He served as an associate editor of
Information Systems Research,
and is a senior editor for
Decision Support Systems and
Information Systems and e-Business Management.
His research interests are in the area
of electronic commerce, platform competition, and reputation systems in online markets.
At University of Washington, he teaches various graduate,
undergraduate, and Ph.D. courses. Before joining University of Washington, he
was a faculty at Mendoza College of Business, University of Notre Dame.
He has consulted for Alibaba Taobao, and
colloborated with Witmart and Ant Financial.
Electronic Commerce and the Revolution in Financial Markets, with Sayee
Srinivasan, Jan Stallaert and Andrew B. Whinston. Thomson Learning, 2002.
Chinese translation of the book
was published by Peking University Press.
- Electronic Commerce for Financial
Services Industry, with Andrew B. Whinston, Qi Li et al. China Higher
Education Press, 2004.
- UW Students Pitched their Export Campaign for Chinese Brew in Beijing,
Puget Sound Business Journal, February 22, 2008. (PDF
- Who cares? Free Software Magazine, January 23, 2007. (PDF
Bet on a Futures Market, Fortune,August 1, 2003. (PDF file)
- Clicks vs. Bricks, South Bend Tribune, October 2, 2000.
Selected Journal Publications
- “Advertising versus Brokerage Model for
Online Trading Platforms,” with Jianqing Chen and Mingzhi Li. MIS
- "An Analysis of Pricing Models in the Electronic Book Market," with
Lin Hao. MIS Quarterly,
38 (4), 2014, 1017-1032.
- "Design and Analysis of Contracts for Software Outsourcing," with
Debabrata Dey and Conglei Zhang. Information Systems Research,
21 (1), 2010, 93-114.
"Selling or Advertising: Strategies for Providing Digital Media Online,"
with Subodha Kumar and Andrew B. Whinston. Journal of Management
Information Systems 24 (3), 2008, 143-166.
"A Supply Chain Model with Direct and Retail Channels," with Aussadavut
Dumrongsiri, Apurva Jain, and Kamran Moinzadeh. European Journal of
187 (3), 2008, 691-718.
"Evaluation and Design of Online Cooperative Feedback Mechanisms for
Reputation Management," with Yong Tan and Andrew B. Whinston.
Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering 17 (2), 2005, 244-254.
"E-Loyalty: Elusive Ideal or Competitive Edge?" with Sarv Devaraj and
Rajiv Kohli. Communications of the ACM 46 (9), 2003, 184-191.
"Decentralized Mechanism Design for Supply Chain Organizations Using an
Auction Market," with Jan Stallaert and Andrew B. Whinston.
Systems Research 14 (1), 2003, 1-22.
"Antecedents of B2C Channel Satisfaction and Preference: Validating
E-Commerce Metrics," with Sarv Devaraj and Rajiv Kohli.
Systems Research 13 (3), 2002, 316-333.
"The Internet and the Future of Financial Markets," with Jan Stallaert
and Andrew B. Whinston. Communications of the ACM 43 (11), November,
2000, 83-88. (PDF file)
Awards and Grants
- Dean's Junior Faculty Research Award, Michael G. Foster School of Business,
- Faculty advisor, the winning team of the First East-West MBA All-Star
Case Challenge, 2008.
- Lex N. Gamble Family Award for Excellence in the Field
of E-Commerce, University of Washington Business School, 2004
- Salesforce.com Grant for course development, 2004
- Microsoft ERP and CRM Software Grant for ERP course development, 2003
- PricewaterhouseCoopers Research Grant on E-Commerce, 2000-2001
- Houston Endowment President's Excellence Fellowship, The University of Texas
at Austin, 1998
Fax: (206) 543-3968
Paccar Hall 485
Foster School of Business
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-3226