A Brief History on the Event of the Tears and Smiles Celebration
August 18, 1995
Supplementary Accounts & Resources:
In a December 6, 1951 memorandum of agreement, Edward Ullman (then chair of the Geography Library Committee) and Bauer outlined the operational parameters for the establishment of the Geography Library. The Libraries would provide a half-time trained library assistant (with a promise to make the position full-time by spring 1952), furnish small library equipment (i.e., card catalog), and begin ordering books and serials. The Department of Geography would provide shelving and chairs.
On October 24, 1980, the Department of Geography honored Ullman by renaming the library the Edward L. Ullman Geography Library.
In September 1992, the Geography Library migrated from a manual circulation card system to a fully automated computer system.
In December 1994, Department Chair William B. Beyers and Director of University Libraries Betty G. Bengtson appointed the Geography and Libraries Working Group to explore alternative and innovative ways to provide library and information services in the field of geography. Members from Geography were: Gabe Gallardo (student representative), David Hodge, Lucy Jarosz, Gunter Krumme, and Tim Nyerges (co-chair). Members from the Libraries were: Alvin Fritz, Steve Hiller, Nancy Huling, Jenny Marie Johnson, and Betsy Wilson (co-chair). The Group's proposal "Reshaping Library and Information Services: A Collaboratory in the Department of Geography" provides the framework for the Ullman Collaboratory. The Collaboratory will be created in the space formerly occupied by the Geography Library after its consolidation into the Suzallo and Allen Libraries August 28, 1995.
The original Geography Library Committee was comprised of Edward Ullman, John D. Eyre, and Francis M. Earle. For many years, Joseph Velikonja chaired the Faculty Library Committee. More recently, GŁnter Krumme has provided departmental liaison and insight on library issues.
Many committed librarians and staff have served the users of the Geography Library. They include Ruth E. Martin, Abigail Sidall, Nancy Newton, Martha Ogilvie, Joyce Brooks, Elinor Kelly, Anna Choing (1969-1982), David Wood, Steve Hiller, Joan Crist, Robert Bjorling, and Linda Fredericks. Most recently, Ron Farrell, Alvin Fritz, and Jenny Marie Johnson have been responsible for the collections, operations, and services of the Geography Library. Anne Zald, recently appointed Geography Librarian, will spearhead library and information services as the Libraries and Geography work together in the realization of the Collaboratory.