Seminar: 7th Week
USSR launches Sputnik, first artificial earth satellite. In response, US
forms the Advanced Research Projects Agency (ARPA) within the Department
of Defense (DoD) to establish US lead in science and technology applicable
to the military (:amk:)
design discussions held by Larry Roberts at ARPA IPTO PI meeting
in Ann Arbor, Michigan (April)
First demonstration of ARPANET/SF Bay Packet Radio Net/Atlantic SATNET
operation of Internet protocols with BBN-supplied gateways in July (:vgc:)
NSF signs a cooperative agreement to manage the NSFNET backbone with Merit
Network, Inc. Email link established between Germany and China using
with the first message from China sent on 20 September.
The American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN) is established to handle
administration and registration of IP numbers to the geographical areas
currently handled by Network Solutions (InterNIC), starting March 1998.
Domain name business.com sold for US$150,000. --- Longest hostname
registered with InterNIC:
Melissa virus storms through the Net in late March
- Slowly but surely we are running out of time .... Today's activities
do not quite amount to a formal judging of our Web
pages.... yet, BUT we will be working on our pages today towards your "Web
Certification". At the end of the quarter, certificates will be
awarded in three classes:
- Professional (Extraordinary Merit)
- Hyper-Expert (Excellent Results)
- Cyber-Space Cadet (Remarkable Effort)
Criteria will include: [Mini-Research
- Quality of Mini-Research Content (Content not to exceed a total of
- Hypertextual Design and Organization of Pages (see guidelines)
- Absence of grammatical and spelling errors, quality of writing
- Quality of four or five resources used.
- Appearance of pages.
All of us. Your votes count half, mine the other half.
- Find a partner and raise
- this week's page on your computer in Netscape or Explorer (Find
the URL at the top of this page)
- Open yours and your partner's Dante public_html
- Go into your "home page" (pico index.html)
- Replace "forthcoming content" with "My Mini
Research Project" [Look up the coding for this tag in "View"/"Source"]
- Close the index.html file (ctrl x, Yes, Enter)
- Open a new file: pico mini.html
Start with HTML and end with /HTML: then write in:
H2 (in pointed brackets, of course) MY MINI-RESEARCH TOPIC: ..........
Can you add a sentence about your plans and/or what you may have
accomplished already: The other members of this "seminar" are eager to
- Close the mini.html file (ctrl x, Yes, Enter)
- Be sure that you get out of your Dante account before you leave the
room. See you next week or better: Let's hear from you before then!
If you have not done so yet, be sure to:
- catch up with weeks 2-6 as needed.
- include your new or changed "special topic" in the "introduction" on
your Web site or send it to krumme@u for the membership list.
- start a new page/file for your "special topic". From now on, you
may want to find at
least one reference every week and add at least two sentences to an
evolving brief "mini-research" write-up on your special topic every
week. (The end product should be 300-600 words of
concise, well organized [on at least two hypertextually linked pages]
and thoroughly proofread and edited writing)
Thanks and Have Fun! GK