End of Quarter Info - Tech Evaluation (Geog 207)
Your answers to these questions will not be graded, will be treated
strictly confidentially, and will not be reviewed until after your grades
are submitted. The results will be used to assess the use of
educational communications technologies, not your class work or
1) How much has the use of educational communications technologies
helped you to achieve these objectives:
1 = hardly or not at all;
2 = moderately;
- ____ Provide a larger and more complete picture of Economic
which otherwise would have been lost in this short 10-week quarter.
- ____ Add diversity to the presentation of class content (in
the use of lectures, in-class discussions and hard-copy readings).
- ____ Facilitate and improve outside-class communication between
instructor and students.
____ Reduce necessity for lengthy Q & A periods dealing with logistic
matters thereby saving valuable class time.
____ Provide a small group or workshop atmosphere in this class of
and encourage your participation where otherwise you may not participate.
____ Accommodate special needs and interests
(i.e. create multiple and multi-level learning environments).
____ Integrate the teaching of a broader range of library- and internet
related resource skills into the presentation of subject areas.
____ Provide opportunity to experiment with hypertextual or multi-media
presentation of projects.
____ Encourage you to accept partial responsibility for your own
education through active, electronically enhanced learning
____ Help you understand that learning is a continuous process and
you can access this class (and hopefully many other classes in the future)
before and after you are officially "enrolled".
____ Promote collaboration and acquisition of useful teamwork
____ Contribute -- e.g. through your group project -- not just to your own
education but to that of your peers and to larger segments of society.
____ Enable you to organize your daily (home-job-campus) logistics
more efficiently in time & space.
____ Enable you to expand and practice your computer communication
____ Facilitate "boundary-spanning" communication and activities on
between class and community (for your research, volunteering & internships).
2) Present Access to Computers: (mark all that apply)
____ I use a computer at home, dorm or Greek House
____ I have ready access (from work or home) to the University
by modem since when?_________
____ I bought my first modem during this quarter
____ I presently use computers almost only on campus
(mainly where on campus? ____________________)
3) During this quarter, I have expanded my familiarity with:
Pine (E-mail software) not really ___ moderately ____ extensively ____
UNIX (System&Commands) not really ___ moderately ____ extensively ____
UWIN + Library Access not really ___ moderately ____ extensively ____
WWW (Internet) not at all ___ moderately ____ extensively ____
4) During this quarter, have you used electronic Library/ bibliographic
reference systems/ data bases (via UWIN or otherwise) more than you would
have with a typical alternative class? Yes____ NO____.
Please rank the three data bases you most frequently used:
5) Mark those expressions which, at this point, best describe your
feelings about the use of electronic technology in this class:
Please use these letters to refer to specific modes: "A" = All
"E" = Email "W" = Web browsing "H" = Creation of own Web site
expected frustrating, upsetting
creates uncertainty impersonal
intrusive entertaining / exciting
no big deal / makes little difference open to new experiences
enthusiastic time saving
inconvenient, time consuming (potentially) addictive
participatory/ engaging breaking the ice
motivating, challenging a bit overwhelming
old hat / what else is new? useful skill
too new / premature use distracting
waste of time expensive
inappropriate can't get enough of it
6) I used the Collaboratory outside of class times: (please encircle)
Odegaard Library Geography Department
often (more than 3 times a week) ___ ___
sometimes (1-2 times a week) ___ ___
occasionally (1-2 times a month) ___ ___
hardly or never ___ ___
7) The Collaboratory was, on the whole, a good space to work in:
Odegaard _____Yes _____No
Geography _____Yes _____No
8) The technology- and resource- (library-) related assistance by Anne
Zald (Librarian), our "helpers" or "learning assistants" and your
instructor (yours truly) was
Inadequate___ Adequate___ Excellent___
9) Other classes: Have you used the WWW ("the Web") in other
classes during this Quarter?
If yes, these other classes together counted for ____ credits.
10) How many credits are you (now, after drops) taking during this
11) On the average, how much time, per day, do you spend on commuting
between home, school, jobs and internships/volunteer activities:______
12) How many hours per week are you involved in volunteer work or
13) How many hours per week are you working for compensation on or
14) Which pages, components, attributes or characteristics of the Geog207
Web Page System did you like "most" or "least":
a) "most": ____________________ ____________________ ____________________
b) "least": ____________________ ____________________ ____________________
15) I would very much appreciate your suggestions for changes in the
use of educational communication technologies in Geography 207:
Thank you very much!