(Geography 207, January 26, 1999)
Select 5 (five) from the following 8 items for brief answers
(identifications, definitions and/or
interpretations) [1 point each + 1 Bonus pt]. Please write legibly. If you
answer more than 5 questions, please
identify those answers which you want to count first + foremost!
(1) Who was Walter Christaller?
(2) What does a Location Quotient of "2" signify?
(3) What are "diseconomies of agglomeration"?
(4) What do we mean when we suggest that a region's "terms of trade" have
(5) List the three types of independent variables which Ed Ullman has
suggested as the "Bases for Spatial Interaction":
(6) List the three types of (what we called in class)
"space- differentiating forces" (i.e. independent variables "explaining"
(7) Briefly explain how the non-linearity of a (total) transport-cost
function may affect a location outcome.
(8) Identify a major point or message you discovered in your readings
(which?) for this week:
BONUS: Answer both question, if you wish. However, only one answer
(or max. 1 point) will count:
A. What is
Boeing's present total employment in the Puget Sound region:
(from Auburn to Everett):
B. The U.S.
monthly "trade deficit" hit a peak in November 1998: How high