James Hughes, Ph.D.
Rainfall Modelling and Hidden Markov models
- Hughes JP, Lettenmaier DP, Guttorp P: A stochastic approach for assessing
the effect of changes in regional circulation patterns on local precipitation.
Water Resour Res 29:3303-3315, 1993.
- Hughes JP, Guttorp P: A class of stochastic models for relating synoptic
atmospheric patterns to local hydrologic phenomenon. Water Resour Res
- Hughes JP: Computing the observed information in the hidden
Markov model using the EM algorithm. Statistics and
Probability Letters 32:107-114, 1997.
- Hughes JP, Guttorp P, Charles SP: A nonhomogeneous hidden
Markov model for precipitation. Applied Statistics 48: 15-30, 1999.
- Bellone E, Hughes JP, Guttorp P: A hidden Markov model for downscaling
synoptic patterns to precipitation amounts. Climate Research 15:1-12, 2000.
- Lystig TC, Hughes JP: Exact Computation of the Observed Information
Matrix for Hidden Markov Models. JCGS 11:678 - 689, 2002.
Methods for Misclassified Outcomes
- Magder LS, Hughes JP: Logistic regression when the outcome is
measured with uncertainty. American Journal of Epidemiology
- Richardson BA and Hughes JP: Product limit estimation for infectious
disease data when the diagnostic test for the outcome is measured
with uncertainty. Biostatistics 1:341-354, 2000.
- Bureau A, Shiboski S, Hughes JP: Applications of continuous time hidden
Markov models to the study of misclassified disease outcomes. Statistics
in Medicine 22:441-462, 2003.
- Meier A, Richardson BA, Hughes JP. Discrete Proportional Hazards models
for Mismeasured outcomes. Biometrics, 59:947-954, 2003.
- Hughes JP, Totten PA. Estimating the accuracy of polymerase chain
reaction-based tests using end-point dilution. Biometrics, 59:505-511, 2003.
- Ou SS, Hughes JP, Richardson BA. Methods for Assessing the Accuracy of
PCR-Based Tests: Comparisons and Extensions. Statistics in Medicine
- Richardson BA, Hughes JP. Statistical methods for determining the
accuracy of quantitative polymerase chain reaction-based tests.
Statistics in Medicine,in press.
Cluster Randomized Trials
- Hughes JP. Using Baseline Data to Design a Group Randomized Trial.
Statistics in Medicine 24:1983-1994, 2005.
- Hughes JP, Kulich M. Cluster randomized trials for HIV prevention.
Current Opinions in HIV and AIDS 1:471-475, 2006.
- Hussey MA, Hughes JP. Design and Analysis of Stepped Wedge Cluster
Randomized Trials. Contemporary Clinical Trials, 28:182-191, 2007.
- Hughes JP: Mixed effects models with censored data with application
to HIV RNA levels. Biometrics 55:625-629, 1999.
- Hughes JP and Richardson R: Analysis of a Randomized Trial to Prevent
Vertical Transmission of HIV-1. J of Amer. Statist. Assoc. 95:1032-1043.