The ROMAG Maglev GRT Technology

romag2.jpg (21162 bytes) In the late 1960s, the Rohr Corporation of Chula Vista, California developed a PRT technology that utilized linear induction motors for propulsion and suspension. The controllers for these motors were of the voltage variable-frequency type. The motor windings were attached to the vehicle. The passive ferro-magnetic rail acted as the stator. The rail could be beneath the vehicle or overhead. Two motors - one along each side of the vehicle - would be normally used. The motors were designed to be quiet, non-polluting, free of wearing parts, insensitive to wet or icy guideways, capable of high-speed operation and able to operate efficiently over significant grades. The magnetic suspension system was noiseless, had no moving parts and was capable of being programmed to provide a smooth, comfortable ride.

A ROMAG test vehicle was successfully tested on March 6, 1971. It was the first time in the U.S. that a person rode a vehicle supported and moved by magnetic forces.

romag1.jpg (15944 bytes) Sometime during the late 1970's, this technology was purchased by the Boeing Company of Seattle. At that time, Boeing had a group working on the Advanced Group Rapid Transit project with federal funding. The federal funding was stopped and Boeing stopped work on this topic. No further work on ROMAG was done by Boeing and it is said that the ROMAG materials are currently located in the basement of a professor at Carnegie-Mellon University in Pittsburgh. No confirmation of this information is available.

Three additional ROMAG photos are also provided on a separate page. Thanks to James Dumke for making them available.

home2.gif (1492 bytes)

Last modified: May 09, 2006