Summer Quarter 2008
Homework Assignments for Week 4, Tues.-Wed.
Study for Quiz on Habitual [aka Imperfective] Present (Unit 6.1) and Past (Unit 7.1), and अपना (Unit 6.3).
To review अपना (and habitual present), translate the following sentences into Hindi:
1. After class, I go in my [own] room and he goes in his [own] room.
2. Please give your [own] book to me.
3. In India, Indian people speak [use बोलना] their own language [भाषा, feminine].
4. Do you know? Monkeys [बंदर, masculine] beat their own children!
5. [Familiar] say to your [own] sister that we eat our [own] food at home.
To review habitual past, rewrite the following sentences in the past tense, and then translate into English:
१. अरुण अपने कमरे में बैठता है और किताब लिखता है ।
२. खन्ना साहब कहते हैं कि उनके दफ़्तर में बहुत लोग आते हैं लेकिन सब अपना काम करते हैं ।
३. छात्र अपने अध्यापक से बहुत ज़्यादा सवाल पूछते हैं, फिर अध्यापक जवाब (answer) बताते हैं ।
४. दादी जी दिन भर रेडियो [radio] सुनती हैं और किताबें पढ़ती हैं । वे टी. वी. नहीं देखती हैं ।
Review compound postpositions (Unit 6.4) and translate the following phrases into Hindi:
on top of the book behind the house about that boy
for me in front of the big windows outside his room
Reread Unit 7a (pg 86-91).
· For Wednesday, July 16 (Homework #14)
Pronunciation Project 3: Record the first paragraph of Exercise 6a.2 (pg 83-the Hindi paragraph you translated for homework). Read very slowly, and pay special attention to phrasing--you may want to mark the phrases in the paragraph to practice reading. Only read up to सबसे सुन्दर लड़की है!
Do Exercise 7a.1 on कोई/कुछ (pg 94) and write 5 sentences from Ex 7a.2 on चाहिए.
Also, to review compound postpositions (Unit 6.4), translate the following sentences into Hindi:
1. Sit outside the house.
2. Come towards me.
3. Look behind that chair.
4. This book is not for them, it's for me.
5. We live [रहना] near the cycle shop [i.e. the cycle's shop; shop = दुकान (f)].
Finally, read TYH Unit 7b-8a (pg 91-102).