Huatong (Hannah) Sun
Associate Professor of Digital Media & Global Design
Communication Major Coordinator
School of Interdisciplinary Arts & Sciences (SIAS)
University of Washington Tacoma
htsun @ uw.edu
Books & Edited Collections
My first English book Cross-Cultural Technology Design: Creating Culture-Sensitive Technology for Local Users (Oxford University Press, 2012) was named the 2013 Best Book in Technical or Scientific Communication by National Council of Teachers of English.
I'm working with Oxford UP for a new book on Global Social Media Design.
Just released: Special Issue of Technical Communication (64:2, May 2017) on the theme of Localizing User Experience for Culturally Sensitive Design. FREE access for a short period of time!
- Guest Editorial: Localizing User Experience: Strategies, Practices, and Techniques for Culturally Sensitive Design (with Getto, 2017). Journal of Technical Communication.
- Innovating with Fans: Social Game & Technology Design (Sept., 2016): User Experience Magazine
- Silent Struggles—the Plight of Undocumented Students in Social Work Education (with Loya, Jones, & Furman, 2016): Global Social Welfare
- Operationalizing culture with design cards: Translating critical knowledge into provocative insights (2015): Journal of Rhetoric, Professional Communication, and Globalization
- Binding the material and the discursive with a relational approach of affordances (with Hart-Davidson, 2014): ACM CHI 2014
- Sina Weibo of China: From a copycat to a local uptake of a global technology assemblage (2013, first three pages): International Journal of Sociotechnology & Knowledge Development
Highlights of Talks & Workshops
- Mar. 15, 2017: Articulating discursive affordances as value propositions for global innovation, Association of Teachers of Technical Writing (ATTW) Annual Convention (Conference Co-Chair), Portland, OR
- Feb. 25, 2017: CSCW in China & Beyond Workshop, CSCW 2017, Portland, OR
- Oct. 21, 2016: Teaching critical design & CSS coding with a website localization project. 2016 Association of Business Communication (ABC) International Conference, Albuquerque, NM.
- Oct. 15, 2016: Creating a culturally sensitive user experience for global users, Tech Comm Conference for Practitioners & Academics, Tacoma, WA
- Oct. 5, 2016: Fans as creative mass for user localization and open innovation, IEEE Professional Communication Conference 2016, Austin, TX
- March 17, 2015: Analyzing Digital Writing in a Cross Cultural Framework, ATTW Research Methods Workshop, Tampa, FL
My research explores the relationship and interaction between technology, culture, and design in this increasingly globalized world with a focus on web technologies and mobile communication, informed by theories and methodologies from rhetoric and technical communication, intercultural communication, human-computer interaction, information studies, British cultural studies, and science and technology studies.
My teaching experience includes introductory and advanced courses in web and multimedia writing and design, document design, content management, computer-mediated communication, professional writing, technical and business communication, composition and ESL writing, and writing internship.
- TCOM 220 Social Media
- TCOM 320 Principles of Web Design
- TCOM 330 Mobile Communication & Social Practice
- TCOM 350 Editing and Design for Print Media
- TCOM 420 Advanced Web Design
- TWRT 440 Cross-Cultural Communication Design
©2017 Huatong Sun