Huatong (Hannah) Sun
Associate Professor of Digital Media & Global Design
School of Interdisciplinary Arts & Sciences (SIAS)
Global Innovation & Design Lab
University of Washington Tacoma
htsun @ uw.edu
A researcher, educator, and consultant in multicultural and global technology design and digital media studies.
I study socially situated digital literacy practices surrounding mobile and social media technologies to explore ways of creating equitable and empowering technology to redress asymmetrical relations in our global power hierarchy.
My scholarship seeks to connect theory and practice, the culture and the engineering, the instrumental and the social, and the critical and the creative. It is informed by theories and methodologies from rhetoric and technical communication, human-computer interaction, social computing, informatics, intercultural communication, global media studies, British cultural studies, and science and technology studies.
My book Global Social Media Design: Bridging Differences Across Cultures (Oxford University Press, 2020) recently won three book awards: 2022 CCCC (Conference on College Composition and Communication) Advancement of Knowledge Award, 2022 CCCC Research Impact Award, and 2022 NCTE Best Book in Technical or Scientific Communication!
My earlier book with OUP, Cross-Cultural Technology Design: Creating Culture-Sensitive Technology for Local Users (2012), was named the 2013 Best Book in Technical or Scientific Communication by National Council of Teachers of English.
Upcoming Talks & Workshops
- October, 2022, Engaging Cultural Differences for Empowering Design. ABC (Association for Business Communication) 87th Annual International Conference, Tampa, FL.
- June 20, 2022: Engaging Cultural Differences for Empowering Design. UXPA (User Experience Professional Association) International Conference 2022, San Diego, CA.
- May 16, 2022: Designing Trustworthy Live Commerce Experience: Opportunities for Content Designers and Technical Communicators (With Xiaoli Li). STC Technical Communication Summit, Chicago, IL.
- May 15, 2022: Engaging Cultural Differences for Empowering Design. STC (Society for Technical Communication) Technical Communication Summit 2022, Chicago, IL.
- May 4, 2022: Bridging Cultural Differences with Critical Design in a Globalized World (course). ACM SIGCHI 2022, New Orleans, LA.
- March 10, 2022: Decolonizing Rhetoric and Writing: Asian and Asian American Perspectives | Designing with Discursive Affordances for Local Empowerment. Conference on College Composition and Communication (CCCC) 2022, online.
- March 9, 2022. Engaging Cultural Differences for Empowering Design. CCCC 2022, online.
Popular Press and Media
- Guest Editorial: Designing for Everyday Life in a Global Context (with Getto). Journal of Rhetoric, Professional Communication, and Globalization, 2017
- Interview with Huatong Sun. connexions • international professional communication journal, 5(1), 2017
- Guest Editorial: Localizing User Experience: Strategies, Practices, and Techniques for Culturally Sensitive Design (with Getto, 2017). Journal of Technical Communication
- Silent Struggles—the Plight of Undocumented Students in Social Work Education (with Loya, Jones, & Furman, 2016): Global Social Welfare
- Operationalizing culture with design cards: Translating critical knowledge into provocative insights (2015): Journal of Rhetoric, Professional Communication, and Globalization
- Binding the material and the discursive with a relational approach of affordances (with Hart-Davidson, 2014): ACM CHI 2014
- Sina Weibo of China: From a copycat to a local uptake of a global technology assemblage (2013): International Journal of Sociotechnology & Knowledge Development
My teaching experience includes introductory and advanced courses in web and multimedia writing and design, document design, content management, computer-mediated communication, professional writing, technical and business communication, composition and ESL writing, and writing internship.
Below are the courses taught at UWT:
- TCOM 220 Social Media
- TCOM 320 Principles of Web Design
- TCOM 330 Mobile Communication & Social Practice
- TCOM 350 Editing and Design for Print Media
- TCOM 420 Advanced Web Design
- TWRT 440 Cross-Cultural Communication Design
- TGID 420 Reflexive Design Portfolio
©2022 Huatong Sun