- 2007, Ph.D., Interdisciplinary Ph.D. Program
in Near and Middle
Eastern Studies, University of Washington
Dissertation: "Textual Histories of Early Jewish Writings: Multivalences vs. the Quest for 'The Original'"
- 2003, M.A., Near Eastern Languages & Civilization, University
Core Languages: Biblical Hebrew & Akkadian
- 2001, B.A., Classics, University of Washington, with distinction
- 1975, B.A., Physics-Astronomy, Whitman College, cum laude, with
Faculty Positions — University of Washington
Lecturer of Hebrew Bible and Ancient Near Eastern Studies
Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilization
- Summer 2007
- Summer 2004
Graduate Positions — University of Washington
- Autumn 2006–Spring 2007: Predoctoral Teaching Associate II
Elementary Biblical Hebrew (HEBR 414, 415)
Biblical Hebrew Prose (HEBR 426)
- Summer 2006 (B Term): Website Developer (Predoctoral Research Associate II)
Near Eastern Languages & Civilization
- Summer 2006 (A Term): Predoctoral Teaching Associate II
Israel: The First Six Centuries BCE (NEAR E 454 / SISJE 454)
- Autumn 2005–Spring 2006: Predoctoral Staff Associate I
Language Learning Center
- Summer 2005 (B Term): Predoctoral Teaching Associate I
Introduction to the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament (NEAR
E 240 / RELIG
- Spring 2005: Predoctoral Teaching Associate I
to the Ancient Near East (NEAR E 220)
- Autumn 2002–Spring 2003: Teaching Assistant I
Elementary Biblical Hebrew (HEBR 414, 415)
Biblical Hebrew Prose (HEBR 426)
- January–September 2002: Research Assistant/Webmaster: "Re-envisioning
the Ph.D. Project"
funded by the Pew Charitable Trusts and the
University of Washington, and
directed by University of Washington Associate
Dean Jody Nyquist as Principal Investigator.
Academic Position — University of Kiel, Germany
- 1986: Teaching Assistant for Biblical Hebrew course
Awards & Fellowships
- Greek Award 2011: Faculty Member of the Year for Most Worldly and Diverse
- Recipient of Marsha S. Glazer Graduate Fellowship
Interdisciplinary Ph.D. Program in Near & Middle Eastern
University of Washington, 2004–2005
- First place award for outstanding graduate student paper
Northwest Regional AAR/SBL student paper competition, May 2002
- Recipient of Greenfield scholarship
Classics, University of Washington
- 2004–2006: Proof-read and prepared camera-ready master for Nocturnal Ciphers: The Punning Language of Dreams in the Ancient Near East, by Scott B. Noegel (American Oriental Series; New Haven, Conn. 2006)
- 2002–2003: Prepared book manuscript for Afroasiatic
Linguistics, Semitics, and Egyptology: Selected Writings of Carleton T.
Hodge, eds. Scott Noegel & Alan S. Kaye (CDL Press, 2004)
- Summer 2002: Prepared indices for Historical
Dictionary of Prophets in Islam and Judaism, Scott B. Noegel &
Brannon M. Wheeler (The Scarecrow Press, Inc., 2002)
- August–October 2001: Editorial Assistant,
University of Washington. Prepared book manuscript for publication: Prayer,
Magic, and the Stars in the Ancient and Late Antique World, eds. Scott
Noegel, Joel Walker, and Brannon Wheeler (The Pennsylvania State
University Press, 2003)
- 1992–1994: Prepared the camera-ready master of The Dead Sea Scrolls
Catalogue (Scholars Press, 1994)
- 1986: Proof-read and corrected manuscript of The Mosaic Map of Madaba, Herbert
Donner (Kampen: Kok Pharos Publishing House, 1992)
- Semitics: Biblical and Epigraphic Hebrew and Aramaic, Akkadian
- Classics: Classical & Hellenistic Greek, Classical Latin
- 1992, Conflict Resolution Skills & Strategy course; Seattle Pacific
- 1985, Modern Hebrew language course certificate (Hamburg, Germany)
- 1983, Biblical Hebrew language certificate (top exam score); University
of Kiel, Germany
- 1983, German language certificate (top exam score); University of Kiel,
- 1981–1994, Extension courses in Hebrew, Greek, Latin; University
of Wisconsin, Madison
- 1975–1976, Medical Radiation Physics, Graduate program, National
Institutes of Health grant; University of Washington
- 1971, Music Theory course; Pasadena City College, CA
- Society of Biblical Literature
Articles & Reviews
- Review of: Voitila, Anssi and Jutta Jokiranta (eds.) Scripture in Transition: Essays on Septuagint, Hebrew Bible, and Dead Sea Scrolls in Honour of Raija Sollamo (SJSJ, 126; Leiden and Boston: Brill, 2008)
in Journal of Hebrew Scriptures, Vol. 10 (2010).
- Review of: KUSATU (Kleine Untersuchungen zur Sprache des Alten Testaments und seiner Umwelt; ed. Reinhard Lehmann) 6 (2006)
in Journal of Hebrew Scriptures, Vol. 8 (2008).
- Review of: Marjo Korpel and Joseph Oesch, eds., Unit
Delimitation in Biblical Hebrew and Northwest Semitic Literature (Pericope
4; Assen: Van Gorcum, 2003)
of Hebrew Scriptures, Vol. 5 (2004-2005).
Scholarly Presentations, Invited Lectures, Training
- "The Song of Songs: Twixt the Cup and the Lip." Keynote Address presented at the Pacific Science Center: "Discovering the Dead Sea Scrolls, Special Presentation." Sunday, April 23, 2006.
- "Reverses and Double Reverses: 'Playful' Literary Techniques in the Hebrew Bible." American Academy of Religion / Society of Biblical Literature Pacific Northwest Regional Annual Meeting. Spokane, WA. Panel presentation on "Word Play in the Hebrew Bible and Ancient Near East." Saturday, May 6, 2006.
- Conducted training session for volunteer staff of the Pacific Science Center's "Discovering the Dead Sea Scrolls" Exhibition. Saturday, May 13, 2006.
- "The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible and Its Living Legacy: What's Love Got to Do With It? Variant Histories in the Transmission of Hebrew Biblical Texts." Presentation for SISME 532: Seminar on Middle Eastern Studies, University of Washington. Friday, May 19, 2006.
- "The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible and Its Living Legacy: What's Love Got to Do With It?" Presentation for Tikkun Leil Shavuot [תיקון ליל שבועות] at Temple Beth Am, Seattle, WA. Thursday, June 1, 2006.
- "The Dead Sea Scrolls at the Pacific Science Center." Presentation for the Edmonds Exchange Club breakfast meeting, Edmonds, WA. Wednesday, June 14, 2006.
- Conducted training session for volunteer staff of the Pacific Science Center's "Discovering the Dead Sea Scrolls" Exhibition. Saturday, September 9, 2006.
- "The Dead Sea Scrolls at the Pacific Science Center." PSC Speaker's Bureau presentation at Saint Thomas More Parish, Lynnwood, WA. Co-hosted by St. Thomas More, Trinity Lutheran, and Maplewood Presbyterian churches (all of Lynnwood, WA). Thursday, October 5, 2006.
- "The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible and Its Living Legacy." Lecture at Bethany Presbyterian Church on Queen Anne (Seattle, WA) for a tour group from United Presbyterian Church of Albany, OR. Saturday, October 14, 2006.
- "The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible and Its Living Legacy." Lecture for an Elderhostel group at Pacific Science Center's Laser Dome. Monday, October 23, 2006.
- "The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible and Its Living Legacy." Lecture for an event sponsored by Seattle attorney C. James Judson at Pacific Science Center's Ackerley Family Gallery. Friday, October 27, 2006.
- "The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible and Its Living Legacy." Two lectures for the University of Washington Medicine Alumni Association. Sunday, November 5, 2006.
Other Professional/Business Experience
Systems, Inc. (now: OnlineSheetMusic.com)
2003–2004: Sales, Web User-Interface Design, Web/Product Testing
- Sunhawk Digital
Music LLC / Sunhawk.com Corporation, Seattle, WA
2001–2003: Vice President, Marketing & Publishing
1999–2000: Vice President of Publishing
1995–1999: Program Manager
1977–1994, 2000–2002: Minister with churches in Kiel,
Germany (German-speaking) and Washington state
Summary of Business Skills
- 30+ years experience in teaching, training, and public speaking in academic institutions, business, community and religious organizations.
- Software skills: Macromedia Studio MX suite (Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash),
Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook), FrontPage, font-creation
software (Fontographer), Photoshop, Adobe Acrobat (full version),
OCR software, audio editing software, HTML,
EndNote, SPSS, basic skills in networking; software testing
- Web site design:
- Managed web site re-design for University of Washington, NELC department.
- Designed and built web shopping cart for commercial internet business.
- Designed and built online
user’s guide for product of commercial
- Designed and built course web sites on University of Washington and
- Professional desktop publishing skills, from text editing to final layout.
- Creation and development of music font and music
engraving style manual for digital sheet music production, resulting in the
availability of thousands of music scores of major publishers for sale on the
internet at http://www.onlinesheetmusic.com/.
- 6 years management experience (up to 30 people) in fast-paced, high-pressure
environment internet technology company (specializing in music software and
sheet music products), including hiring, evaluation, promotion, termination,
and salary decisions; dealt successfully with restructuring and changing priorities.
- Implementation and management of production processes and quality control
mechanisms in both local (Seattle/Tacoma) and remote (central Russia) facilities.
Required meticulous planning, tracking, documentation, follow-up.
- 2 years experience in contract negotiations and business development with
owners of copyrighted material (sheet music).
- Multicultural background: Lived and worked 9 years in Germany; maintained
business communication channels with production facility in central Russia;
delivered formal business presentations to major music publishers in Milan,
Italy and at an annual meeting of the Finnish Music Publishers Association
in Helsinki (both in Spring, 2000); have traveled in over 20 countries.
Personal Development and Interests
- 200-hour yoga teacher training certification program: January-July 2012.
Twist Vinyasa Yoga, Edmonds, WA
Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT, Yoga-Alliance, July 6, 2012)
Yoga web site: www.yogagary.com