Mark A. Ganter, Professor
Mechanical Engineering / Box 352600 / Seattle, WA 98195-2600
5.2 Educational History
University of Wisconsin Ph.D. in Mechanical
Dynamic Collision Detection using Kinematics and Solid Modeling Techniques, w/J.J. Uicker, Jr.
University of Wisconsin B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Magna Cum Laude 1979
5.3 Employment History
2000-current University of Washington, Seattle, WA, Professor of Mechanical Engineering
1993–2000 University of Washington, Seattle, WA, Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering
1986-1993 University of Washington, Seattle, WA, Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering
1985-1986 University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, Visiting Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering
5.4 Awards and Honors
American Foundry Society (AFS) Best Paper Award 1991 in Pattern and Foundry Tooling Division for M.A. Ganter and P.A. Skoglund, "Computer Assisted Pattern Core Development"
Pattern Recognition Journal – Editiorial Board Honor 1999 – “3D Object Identification with Color and Curvature Signatures”
SAE - 2007 Arch T. Colwell Merit Award for technical paper "Artifact vs. Anatomy: Dealing with Conflict of Geometric Modeling Descriptions" presented at the Awards Ceremony during the SAE 2009 World Congress.
6.1 Select Archival Journal Publications
· M.A. Ganter, J.J. Uicker, Jr., "From Wire-Frame to Solid-Geometric: Automated Conversion of Data Representations", ASME CIME, Vol. 2, No. 2, (Sept. 1983), 40-45.
· M.A. Ganter, J.J. Uicker, Jr., "Dynamic Collision Detection using Swept Solids", ASME 86-DET-71, ASME J. Mech.,Trans., & Auto. in Design, Vol. 108, No. 4, December 1986, pp 549-555.
· M.A. Ganter and L.L. Tuss, "Computer-Assisted Parting Line Development for Cast Pattern Production", Trans. of Amer. Foundry Society (AFS), Vol 90-137, pp 795-800, 1990.
· M.A. Ganter and P.A. Skoglund, "Computer Assisted Pattern Core Development", Trans. of Amer. Foundry Society (AFS), Vol. 91-097, 1991.
· M.A. Ganter and B.P. Isarankura, "Dynamic Collision Detection using Space Partitioning", ASME Trans. J. of Mech. Design, Vol. 115, No.1, pp 150-155., March 1993.
· M.A. Ganter and P.A. Skoglund, "Feature Extraction for Casting Core Development", ASME Trans. J. of Mech. Design.,Vol. 115, No. 4, December 1993, pp 744-750.
· M.A. Ganter and D.W. Storti, “Object Extent Determination for Algebraic Solid Models”, ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, 117, pp.20-26, 1995.
· G.M. Turkiyyah, D.W. Storti, M.A. Ganter, H. Chen, and M. Vimawala, “An Accelerated Convergence Method for Computing Skeletons of Free-Form Solids”, Computer-Aided Design, 29, pp. 5-19, 1996.
· C.T. Lim, M.T. Ensz, M.A. Ganter, and D.W. Storti, “Object Reconstruction from Layered Data using Implicit Solid Modelling”, Journal of Manufacturing Systems (special issue on Layered Manufacturing), Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 260-272, 1997.
· M.T. Ensz, D.W. Storti and M.A. Ganter, “Implicit Methods for Geometry Creation”, International Journal of Computational Geometry and Applications, 8:5-6, pp 509-536, Oct-Dec, 1998.
· Mustafa, A. A., Shapiro, L. G. and Ganter, M. A., "3D Object Identification with Color and Curvature Signatures", Pattern Recognition, 32(3), pp 339-355, March 1999.
· J.Berkley, S. Weghorst, H. Gladstone, G. Raugi, D. Berg , M. Ganter, " Banded Matrix Approach to Finite Element Modeling for Soft Tissue Simulation", Virtual Reality, 1999, 4:203-212.
· H. Gladstone, G. Raugi, D. Berg , J.Berkley, M. Ganter, , S. Weghorst, "Virtual Reality of Dermatological Surgery: Virtually a Reality in the Twenty-First Century", J. Amer. Academy of Dermatology , 1999.
· R. Blanding, G. M. Turkiyyah, D. W. Storti, and M. A. Ganter, “Three Dimensional Geometric Morphing”, (paper accepted for publication ) Computational Geometry: Vol. 15, pp. 129-148, 2000.
· Brooking, C., Ganter, M. Storti,` D., Turkiyyah, G.,"Deformable Solid Modeling Through Implicit Skeletal Construction, J. Math. Modelling and Scientific Comp, Principia Scientia, Volume 10, 2000.
· J.Berkley, G. Turkiyyah, D. Berg , M. Ganter, S. Weghorst, " Real-Time Finite Element Modeling for Graphical and Haptic Rendering: An Application to Surgical Simulation", IEEE Trans. in Vis. And Comp. Graphics,v 10, n 3, May/June, 2004, p 314-325.
· D. Storti, M. Ganter, W. Ledoux, R. Ching, Y.P. Hu, D. Haynor, “Artifact vs. Anatomy: Dealing with Conflict of Geometric Modeling Descriptions”, SAE 2007 Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars: Electronic and Electrical Systems, Paper #2007-01-2450, Seattle, WA, 2007.
· D. Storti, M. Ganter, W. Ledoux, R. Ching, Y.P. Hu, D. Haynor, “Wavelet SDF-Reps: Solid modeling with volumetric scans”, ASME Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering (submitted by invitation, reviewed, and undergoing final revision).
· B. Utela, D. Storti, R. Anderson, and M. Ganter, “A Review of Process Development Steps for New Materials in Three Dimensional Printing (3DP)”, SME J. Manufacturing Processes (accepted for publication)
6.2 Select Conference Papers and Non-Journal Articles
· C.T. Lim, G. M. Turkiyyah, M.A. Ganter, and D.W. Storti, “Implicit Reconstruction of Solids from Cloud Point Sets”, Proc. of ACM Third Symposium on Solid Modeling and Applications, Eds. J. Rossignac and C. Hoffmann, ACM Press, NY, pp. 393-402, 1995.
· D. W. Storti, G. M. Turkiyyah, M. A. Ganter, C. T. Lim, and D. M. Stal, "Skeleton-based Modeling Operations on Solids", Proc. of ACM Fourth Solid Modeling and Applications, Atlanta, GA, pp. 141-154, May 1997.
· R. Blanding, C. Brooking, M. Ganter, and D.W. Storti, "A Skeletal-Based Solid Editor", Proc. of ACM Fifth Symposium on Solid Modeling and Applications, Ann Arbor, MI, pp 141-150, June 1999.
· Ganter and D.W. Storti, "Object Extent Determination for Algebraic Solid Models", Proc. ASME Design Auto. Conf., Scottsdale, AZ, September 1992
· Lim, C.T., Ensz, M.T., Ganter, M.A., and Storti, D.W., “Algebraic Computer-Aided Design with MapleV2”, Mathematical Computation with MapleV: Ideas and Applications, Ed: T. Lee, Birkhauser, Boston, MA, pp. 169-175, 1993
· M.A. Ganter, D.W. Storti, and M.T. Ensz, “On Algebraic Methods for Implicit Swept Solids with Finite Extent”, Advances in Design Automation, ASME DE-Vol. 65-2, pp.389-396, 1993.
· M.T. Ensz, M.A. Ganter, and D.W. Storti , “Implicit Function Alteration via Radius Mapping and Direct Function Modification” , Advances in Design Automation, ASME DE Vol. 82-1, pp. 57-64, 1995.
· Mustafa, A. A., Shapiro, L. G. and Ganter, M. A.,"3D Object Recognition from Color Intensity Images". 13th International Conference On Pattern Recognition, Vienna, Austria, August 25-30, pp 627-631,1996.
· Mustafa, A. A., Shapiro, L. G. and Ganter, M. A. ,”Object Identification with Surface Signatures”, 7'th International Conference on Computer Analysis Of Images And Patterns, Kiel, Germany, Sept. 10-12, 1997.
· D. Storti, C. Redl, M. Ganter, G. Turkiyyah, and T. Woo , “Encapsulated Transmission of Part Specifications for Distributed Solid Freeform Fabrication”, Proc. ASME Design Technical Conferences, La Vegas, NV, September, 1999.
· J.Berkley, S. Weghorst, M. Ganter, H. Gladstone, G. Raugi, D. Berg, "Real-Time Finite Element Modelling with Haptic Support", Proc. of ASME Design Technical Conferences, September, 1999.
· W. Wang, J. Whitaker, S. Green, D. Storti, M. Ganter, D. Schwartz, "Progress toward Maskless Fabrication of 3-D Microstructures: Pixelated Electrodeposition", Third International Symposium on Electrochemical Technology Applications in Electronics", as a part of the 1999 Joint International Meeting of The Electrochemical Society in Honolulu from October 17-22, 1999.
· T. Maneewarn, B. Hannford, D. Storti, and M. Ganter, “Haptic Rendering for Internal Content of An Implicit Object”, Proc. of ASME IMECE, Nashville, TN, November 1999.
· J.Berkley, P. Oppenheimer, S. Weghorst, D. Berg, G. Raugi, D. Haynor, M. Ganter, G. Turkiyyah, "Creating Fast Finite Element Models from Medical Images ", Proc. Med. VR, VIII, Jan. 2000.
· D. Storti, M.A. Ganter, T. Turkiyyah, C. Brooking, "Skeleballs: Skeleton/Metaball Hybrid Solid Models for Automated Shape Generation", ASME Design Technical Conferences, DETC2000/DAC-14289, 2000.
· J. Chang, M.A. Ganter, D. Storti, "Interval Methods for Interrogation of Implicit Solid Models", ASME Design Technical Conferences, DETC2000/DAC-14290,2000.
· J. Wahlborg, M. Ganter, D. Schwartz, D. Storti, H-Ism: An Implementation Of Heterogeneous Implicit Solid Modeling, ASME Design Technical Conferences DETC2002/DAC-34139 , 2002.
· Blanch, D. Storti, R. Anderson, M. Ganter, P. Reinhall, “Novel Autonomous Underwater Vehicle Based Upon Jellyfish Locomotion”, Proceedings of IDETC 2007, 33rd Design Automation Conference, Las Vegas, NV, September 2007, DETC2007-34440.
6.3b Parts of Books (Chapters In Edited Books)
· A.A. Mustafa, and M.A. Ganter, “An Efficient Image Registration Method by Minimizing Intensity Combinations“
Published in: Research in Computer and Robot Vision, Archibald, C. and Kwok, P., (eds.), World Scientific Press, Singapore, 421 pages, 1995.
6.3d Journal Issues Edited
Associate Editor American Society of Mechanical Engineering (ASME) Journal of Mechanical Design - 1998 - 2002
7.3 Professional Society Memberships
American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME): 1979 to
Association for Computing Machinery (ACM & Siggraph) - 1979 to 1995
American Foundry Society (AFS) - 1988 to 1995
Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME) - 1987 to 1995, 2006