Dan T.A. Eisenberg
Department of Anthropology
Center for Studies in Demography and Ecology
Center For Statistics And The Social Sciences
University of Washington
Campus Box 353100
Seattle, WA 98195
Email: click to reveal email address
30. Eisenberg DTA. 2013. Inconsistent inheritance of telomere length (TL): is offspring TL more strongly correlated with maternal or paternal TL? European Journal of Human Genetics.
29. Eisenberg DTA, Hayes MG, Kuzawa CW. 2012. Delayed paternal age of reproduction in humans is associated with longer telomeres across two generations of descendants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (Published online before print June 11, 2012, doi: 10.1073/pnas.1202092109).
Selected associated press coverage appeared in: PRI/BBC The World, Associated Press, BBC, The Daily Telegraph, The Seattle Times, Global News, CBS News, Jezebel, La Tercera, The Daily Mail, Bloomberg, COSMOS
28. Kuzawa C, Eisenberg DTA. 2012. Intergenerational predictors of birth weight in the Philippines: Correlations with mother's and father's birth weight and test of maternal constraint. PLoS ONE 7(7): e40905.
27. Magvanjav O, Undurraga EA, Eisenberg DTA, Zeng W, Dorjgochoo T, Leonard WR, TAPS Bolivian Study Team, Godoy RA. 2012. Sibling composition and children's anthropometric indicators of nutritional status: Evidence from native Amazonians in Bolivia. Annals of Human Biology.
26. Zeng W, Undurraga EA, Nyberg C, Eisenberg DTA, Parida S, Zycherman A, Magvanjav O, Reyes-García V, Tanner S, Bolivian Taps Study Team and others. in press. Sibling Composition During Childhood and Adult Blood Pressure Among Native Amazonians in Bolivia. Economics and Human Biology.
25. Zeng, W., Undurraga, E. A., Eisenberg, D. T. A., Rubio-Jovel, K.,
Reyes-García, V., Team, T., & Godoy, R. (2012). Sibling composition
and child educational attainment: Evidence from native Amazonians in Bolivia.
Economics of Education Review.
24. Zeng W, Eisenberg DTA, Jovel KR, Undurraga EA, Nyberg C, Tanner
S, Reyes-García V, Leonard WR, Castaño J, Huanca T and others.
Adult obesity: Panel study from native Amazonians. Economics & Human
23. Undurraga EA, Zebrowitz L, Eisenberg DTA, Reyes-García V, Godoy RA, TAPS Bolivia Study Team. 2012. The Perceived Benefits of Height: Strength, Dominance, Social Concern, and Knowledge among Bolivian Native Amazonians. PLoS ONE 7(5):e35391.
22. Zebrowitz LA, Wang R, Bronstad PM, Eisenberg D, Undurraga E, Reyes-Garcia V, Godoy R. 2012. First Impressions from Faces Among U.S. and Culturally Isolated Tsimane' People in the Bolivian Rainforest. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology 43(1): 119-134.
21. Eisenberg DTA. 2011. An evolutionary review of human telomere biology: The thrifty telomere hypothesis and notes on potential adaptive paternal effects. American Journal of Human Biology 23(2):149-167. [Supplementary File 1; Supplementary File 2]
Evaluating force of selection against human cancers
20. Eisenberg DTA, Kuzawa CW, Hayes MG, Salpea KD, Humphries SE, EARS II group. 2011. Substantial variation in qPCR measured mean blood telomere lengths in young men from eleven European countries. American Journal of Human Biology 23(2):228-231. [Supplementary Materials]
19. Eisenberg DTA, Hayes MG. 2011. Testing the null hypothesis: comments on “Culture-gene coevolution of individualism-collectivism and the serotonin transporter gene”. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 278(1704):329-332. [Supplementary Materials]
Principal component 1 (representing population structure) has a strong association
with 5-HTTLPR allele frequency in Europe ( r(14) = -0.81).
18. Eisenberg DTA, Kuzawa CW, Hayes MG. 2010. Worldwide allele frequencies of the human apoliprotein E (APOE) gene: climate, local adaptations and evolutionary history. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 143(1):100-111.
Distribution of human APOE allele frequencies around the world
Association of APOE allele frequencies with latitude
17. Eisenberg DTA, Apicella CL, Campbell BC, Dreber A, Garcia JR, Lum JK. 2010. Assortative human pair-bonding for partner ancestry and allelic variation of the dopamine receptor D4 (DRD4) gene. Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience (Special Issue on Cultural Neuroscience). 5(2-3):194-202.
16. Campbell BC, Dreber A, Apicella CL, Eisenberg DTA, Gray PB, Little
AC, Garcia JR, Zamore RS, Lum JK. 2010. Testosterone
exposure, dopaminergic reward, and sensation-seeking in young men. Physiology
& Behavior. 99(4) 451-456.
15. Morehart CT, Eisenberg DTA. 2010. Prosperity, power, and change: Modeling maize at Postclassic Xaltocan, Mexico. Journal of Anthropological Archaeology 29:94-112.
14. Undurraga EA, Godoy R, Nyberg C, Eisenberg DTA, Magvanjav O, Reyes-García
V, Huanca T, Leonard WR, McDade TW, Tanner S and others. 2010. Individual
wealth rank, community wealth inequality, and self-reported adult poor health.
Medical Anthropology Quarterly 24(4):552-548.
13. Godoy R, Nyberg C, Eisenberg DTA, Magvanjav O, Shinnar E, Leonard WR, Gravlee C, Reyes-García V, Mcdade TW, Huanca T and others. 2010. Short but catching up: Statural growth among native Amazonian Bolivian children. American Journal of Human Biology 22(3):336-347.
12. Godoy R, Magvanjav O, Nyberg C, Eisenberg DTA, McDade TW, Leonard WR, Reyes-García V, Huanca T, Tanner S, Gravlee C. 2010. Why no adult stunting penalty or height premium?: Estimates from native Amazonians in Bolivia. Economics & Human Biology 8(1):88-99.
11. Undurraga EA, Eisenberg DTA, Magvanjav O, Wang R, Leonard WR, McDade TW, Reyes-García V, Nyberg C, Tanner S, Huanca T and others. 2010. Human's Cognitive Ability to Assess Facial Cues from Photographs: A Study of Sexual Selection in the Bolivian Amazon. PLoS ONE 5(6):e11027.
Associated press coverage appeared in: COSMOS, abc DIGITAL, epa, Globovision, Yahoo! España NOTICIAS, Los Tiempos, La Cronica De Hoy, Cambio, terra NOTICIAS,
10. Dreber A, Apicella CL, Eisenberg DTA, Garcia JR, Zamore RS, Lum JK, Campbell B. 2009. The 7R polymorphism in the dopamine D4 receptor gene (DRD4) is associated with financial risk-taking in men. Evolution and Human Behavior 30(2):85-92.
9. Campbell BC, Gray PB, Eisenberg DTA, Ellison P, Sorenson MD. 2009.
receptor CAG repeats and body composition among Ariaal men. International
Journal of Andrology 32(2):140-148.
8. Eisenberg DTA, Campbell B, Gray PB, Sorenson MD. 2008. Dopamine receptor genetic polymorphisms and body composition in undernourished pastoralists: An exploration of nutrition indices among nomadic and recently settled Ariaal men of northern Kenya. BMC Evolutionary Biology 8(173).
Associated press coverage appeared in: The Economist, Newsweek, Discover, The Times (London), Scientific American (podcast), Slate, "Eight Forty-Eight" on WBEZ Chicago Public Radio, New Scientist, Daily Telegraph, ABC News, Focus Online, jungeWelt, wissenschaft, Agence France-Presse, UPI, ScienceAGoGo, Science Daily, Medical News Today, Weiner Zeitung
7. Godoy R, Eisenberg DTA, Reyes-Garcia V, Huanca T, Leonard WR, McDade
TW, Tanner S, TAPS Bolivian Research Team. 2008. Assortative
mating and offspring well-being: theory and empirical findings from a native
Amazonian society in Bolivia. Evolution and Human Behavior 29(3):201-210.
6. Godoy R, Goodman E, Reyes-Garcia V, Eisenberg DTA, Leonard WR, Huanca
T, McDade TW, Tanner S, TAPS Bolivian Study Team. 2008. Rain,
temperature, and child-adolescent height among Native Amazonians in Bolivia.
Annals of Human Biology 35(3):276-93.
5. MacKillop J, Murphy JG, Ray LA, Eisenberg DTA, Lisman SA, Lum JK, Wilson DS. 2008. Further validation of a cigarette purchase task for assessing the relative reinforcing efficacy of nicotine in college smokers. Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology 16(1):57-65.
4. Eisenberg DTA, MacKillop J, Modi M, Beauchemin J, Dang D, Lisman SA, Lum JK, Wilson DS. 2007. Examining Impulsivity as an Endophenotype Using a Behavioral Approach: A DRD2 TaqI A and DRD4 48-bp VNTR Association Study. Behavioral and Brain Functions 3(2).
3. Eisenberg DTA, Campbell B, MacKillop J, Lum JK, Wilson DS. 2007. Season of Birth and Dopamine Receptor Gene Associations with Impulsivity, Sensation Seeking and Reproductive Behaviors. PLoS ONE 11:e1216.
2. Eisenberg DTA, Campbell B, MacKillop J, Modi M, Dang D, Lum JK, Wilson DS. 2007. Polymorphisms in the Dopamine D2 and D4 Receptor Genes and Reproductive, Sexual and Life History Behaviors. Evolutionary Psychology 5(4):696-715.
1. Campbell B, Eisenberg DTA. 2007. Obesity,
Attention Deficit-Hyperactivity Disorder, and the Dopaminergic Reward System.
Collegium Antropologicum 31(1):315-319.
Chapters, commentaries, book reviews
Eisenberg DT, and Kuzawa CW. 2013. Commentary:
The evolutionary biology of the paternal age effect on telomere length.
International Journal of Epidemiology.
Babu E, Eisenberg DTA. 2010. Book
review of "Where There Is No Doctor" by David Werner. JAMA 303(9):885-886.
[An extended version of this review is available here; Book is available as a PDF for free from the publishers]
Number of Inhabitants per Doctor
Eisenberg DTA. 2008. Anthropology in the United States - When Dialogue is the Discipline: A Multi-Level Evolutionary Consideration of Knowledge Production. In: Frédéric Darbellay MC, Jérôme Billotte, Francis Waldvogel, editor. A Vision of Transdisciplinarity, Laying Foundations for a World Knowledge Dialogue: EPFL Press.
Selected Conference Presentations and Working papers
Eisenberg DTA, Kuzawa CW, Hayes MG, Aviv A. 2014. Comparison of telomere length measurements from monochrome multiplex qPCR and Southern blot techniques in the Cebu Longitudinal Health and Nutrition Survey. American Association of Physical Anthropology. Calgary.
Bethancourt HJ, Borja JB, Kuzawa CW, Hayes MG, Eisenberg DTA. 2014. Association between blood telomere length in young adults and longitudinally-assessed adiposity and diet among a Filipino population. American Association of Physical Anthropology. Calgary.
Eisenberg DTA. 2014. Respondent to Session 4: TRADEOFFS: HEALTH, REPRODUCTION, LONGEVITY, part 1. Advances in Biodemography: Cross-Species Comparisons of Social Environments, Social Behaviors, and their Effects on Health and Longevity: A Workshop Keck Center, Washington, D.C.
Kuzawa C, Eisenberg DTA. 2014. Lifecourse and Intergenerational Pathways to Plasticity in Human Lifespan. Advances in Biodemography: Cross-Species Comparisons of Social Environments, Social Behaviors, and their Effects on Health and Longevity: A Workshop Keck Center, Washington, D.C.
Eisenberg DTA, Borja J, Hayes MG, Kuzawa CW. 2013. The association of early life infection with shorter adult blood telomere lengths in Cebu, the Philippines (Podium). Human Biology Association. Knoxville, TN.
Eisenberg DTA, Borja J, Hayes MG, Kuzawa
CW. 2012. Early life infection associated with shorter adult blood telomere
lengths in Cebu, the Philippines. American Society of Human Genetics. San Francisco.
Eisenberg DTA, Borja JB, Hayes MG, Kuzawa CW. 2012. Grandfather’s age at father’s birth is associated with longer telomere lengths in grandchildren in the Philippines: a case of adaptive intergenerational signaling? American Journal of Physical Anthropology(Annual Meeting Issue 2012 Supplement 54):138.
Associated press coverage appeared in: Science; Savage Minds
Zeng W, Undurraga EA, Nyberg C, Eisenberg
DTA, Parida S, Zycherman A, Magvanjav O, Reyes-Garcîa V, Tanner S,
Bolivian TAPS study team and others. 2011. Sibling composition during childhood
and adult blood pressure in a native Amazonian society of Bolivia. Tsimane'
Amazonian Panel Study Working Paper: http://tsimaneorg/working%20papers/TAPS-WP-70.pdf
Babu, E. & Eisenberg, D. T. A. 2010.
to do, “Where There Is No Doctor”?: A systematic evaluation of the book, “Where
There Is No Doctor”. Unpublished Manuscript.
[A summary of this manuscript was published as a short book review in JAMA; Book is available as a PDF for free from the publishers]
Gray P, Eisenberg D, Campbell B. 2009.
Androgen Receptor and Vasopressin Receptor (AVPR1a) Genetic Polymorphisms are
not associated with Marital Status or Fertility among Ariaal Men of Northern
Kenya. Available from Nature Precedings
Godoy R, Goodman E, Reyes-García V, Eisenberg D, Leonard WR,
Huanca T, McDade TW, Tanner S, TAPS Bolivian Research Team. 2007. Climate and
Child Height among Native Amazonians. taps Working Paper Series: http://www.tsimane.org/working%20papers/TAPS-WP-35.pdf.
Godoy R, Eisenberg D, Reyes-García V, Huanca T, Leonard WR, McDade
TW, Tanner S, Vento M, TAPS Bolivian Study Team. 2007. Anthropometric Indicators
of Children and Young Adults and Rainfall in a Native Amazonian Society. taps
Working Paper Series: http://www.tsimane.org/working%20papers/TAPS-WP-33.pdf.
Eisenberg D, Bell MA. 2005. Decreased dragonfly nymph
(Aeshna interrupta) predation on stickleback fish (Gasterosteus aculeatus) with
reduced pelvic girdles and symmetrical lateral plate phenotypes. unpublished
Eisenberg D, Campbell B. 2011. The
Evolution of ADHD: Social Context Matters. San Francisco Medicine 84(8):21-22.
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, American Journal of Human Biology, Proceedings of the Royal Society B, PLoS ONE , Evolution & Human Behavior, International Journal of Epidemiology, European Journal of Human Genetics, Population Studies, Genes & Immunity, International Journal of Obesity, Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience (Oxford), American Journal of Medical Genetics Part B: Neuropsychiatric Genetics (Wiley), Developmental Psychobiology (Wiley), Behavioral and Brain Functions , Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology & Biological Psychiatry, European Journal of Personality (Wiley), Archives of Oral Biology, Naturwissenschaften, Endangered Species Research , Primates, Pathogens and Evolution (book chapter), Biological Psychiatry, Human Reproduction, Heredity, Springer
American Association of Physical Anthropologists
Human Biology Association
American Association of Anthropological Genetics
American Society of Human Genetics
SELECTED AWARDS & HONORS
2007-2011 NSF Graduate Research Fellowship
2010 Wenner-Gren Dissertation Fieldwork Grant
2010, 08 Northwestern
- LeCron Foster & Friends of Anthropology Research Grant
2010 Summer Institute in Statistical Genetics Scholarship
2010 AnthroTree Workshop - NSF sponsored participant
Doctoral Dissertation Improvement Grant
2008 Northwestern U., Summer Language Grant to learn Tsimane' in Bolivia
2007 Conference Travel Grant to 2008 HBA/AAPA Meeting from Buffet Center For International and Comparative Studies of Northwestern University
2006 World Knowledge Dialogue, Switzerland, Young Scientist Award2006 Research Society on Alcoholism, Junior Investigator Award
2005 Binghamton U., Faculty Award for Excellence & Service in Anthropology
2005 Binghamton U., Matthew Goldstein Memorial Scholarship Award in Anthropology
2004-’05 Binghamton U., Undergraduate Research Award Funding – twice awarded
All references in American Journal of Human Biology Format