ME395 Introduction to Design
Fall Quarter 2013
TTh 1:30-2:50; F 12:30-2:20 MEB 238
Joyce Smith Cooper, Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering
- email: email@example.com
- office hours: T 12:15-1:15; Th 11:30-12:30; or by appointment in MEB 304
office hours: PENDING times in MEB 236
- Lectures are typically on Tuesdays and Thursdays, recitation on Fridays.
- Teams of 5-6 students will conduct a project in which the design process is carried out from planning, concept development, and concept selection/justification. All project reports are to be done as a team, due at 5pm in the class dropbox on the date indicated. Late submittals will not be accepted.
- Written team project reports in weeks 3, 6, and during finals week and must be uploaded by 5pm to the class dropbox on the due date (late submittals will not be accepted).
- Team oral presentations are in week 9.
- Individual comprehensive written design theory examination is in week 11.
- Grading: team design reports are 2.5/4.0; the design theory exam is 1.5/4.0.
- Sections of the ASM Handbook, Volume 20 - Materials Selection and Design (search for "ASM Handbook. Volume 20, Materials selection and design" on the UW Library website for the electronic version or head on over to the library to get a copy) and other readings as listed on the syllabus.
- Project description and the design report template
Class drop box: https://catalyst.uw.edu/collectit/dropbox/cooperjs/28655