Welcome to the Foster Global Consulting Project Blog!! We are a group of 16 students and a professor working with SEWA – one of the leading non-profit organizations in India. The consulting group is organized into four teams and will be working on projects including, a green energy initiative that will help workers to increase their productivity, A Manager school that will help collectives perform better, an Agribusiness expansion project and a STFC handicrafts project aimed at marketing locally made handicrafts around the world.
SEWA, our client is an organisation of poor, self-employed women workers. These are women who earn a living through their own labour or small businesses. SEWA is both an organisation and a movement. The SEWA movement is enhanced by its being a sangam or confluence of three movements : the labour movement, the cooperative movement and the women’s movement. But it is also a movement of self-employed workers : their own, home-grown movement with women as the leaders. SEWA’s main goals are to organise women workers for full employment whereby workers obtain work security, income security, food security and social security (at least health care, child care and shelter). SEWA organises women to ensure that every family obtains full employment and works to make women self-reliant i.e. women should be autonomous and self-reliant, individually and collectively, both economically and in terms of their decision-making ability.
This blog will serve multiple purposes:
- To provide documentation of our project as we go – “field notes” with photos and videos as well as personal observations
- Provide raw material for literature and presentations for each team and for SEWA
- Additionally provide materials for fellow classmates, the Foster School and potentially other organizations and individuals
- Provide the basis for a white paper written jointly with SEWA
- The blog will also allow friends and family to follow you from home.
- Create a book at the end of the winter quarter
- Most importantly, it will serve as a record of what promises to be an incredible once-in-a-lifetime experience for us all.
Please feel free to be fun, colorful and personal not dry, but do maintain a professional tone. This blog is located on a UW server so not searchable…but the link likely will be included in SEWA literature and UW websites in the future. Feel free to include mistakes and lessons learned as this will build credibility.
Each Team will post
- An Introductory blog about the team, their project and deliverables – serve as a way to draw readers into the project and make future blog posts easier
- Daily field notes when in Gujarat recording important information related to each project, supplemented with photos, videos and personal experiences
- A Gujarat Summary to sum up the work done over 11 days, the experiences, frustrations, what was easy, what was difficult etc.
- On Delhi & Agra – the blog would not be complete without photos of the Taj and a few words describing the same
- Back in Seattle – weekly updates detailing action items completed and those planned.
- On any other interesting fun events, recollections, mentor advice etc.
Once again welcome to what promises to be an wonderful experience!