INFX 504 - Course Information
This information is updated as changes are made and applies to the next offering of the course.
Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Explain and discuss the main networking technologies and concepts.
- Understand the many types and designs of networks.
- Look at the many technologies sharing space on modern networks.
- Perform several tests to verify connectivity and accessibility.
- Perform basic file transfers and understand the different protocols and tools.
- Work with a variety of communication and collaboration technologies.
- Explain and discuss technologies, concepts, and best practices for securing our networks.
- Understand data centers and cloud computing solutions.
- Discuss the global issues surrounding our networks today and what it means to us.
- Networks - What are they? There's more than one?
- LANs, WANs, WLANs, Campuses and more
- Wireless technologies and issues
- What else rides on our networks?
- Bits, Bytes, Binary, HEX it's all just numbers
- IP Addresses and MAC Addresses - more numbers
- What about security? Privacy? Why are they important?
- Data centers and clouds, where the data lives
- Global issues of all kinds
- TBD and Wrap-up
None required. All materials will be destributed in class
Course Description and Syllabus
INFX 504 – Networking Concepts for Information Professionals (1 Cr): Introduction to the concepts, terminology and technologies of digital networks, including how networks operate and the influence networks have on the workplace and society. Prepares students to think critically about the impacts of networking technologies on organizations, work groups and information systems. Prepares students for advanced studies in database technologies, web design and information assurance. Credit / no Credit only. Prerequisite: none. (Prepares students for INFX 546)
Course Description PDF - Also contains the Course Module Topics
Course Syllabus for current quarter
None at this time. Anything we need we will load in class.
Courses I Teach
Articles & Blogs
Data Visualization Animations Infographics How Stuff Works TED Talks Things to Ponder MOOCs
Last updated: Wednesday, 28-Sep-2016 16:17:11 PDT
© 2013 Bob Larson
All rights reserved