THEORY & METHODS
- Basu A, Heckman J, Navarro-Lozano S, Urzua S. Use of instrumental variables in the presence of heterogeneity and self-selection: An application to treatments of breast cancer patients. York Health Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Paper 07/07. (with Editorial) Health Economics 2007; 16(11): 1133 -1157.
- Terza JV, Basu A, Rathouz PJ. Two-stage residual inclusion estimation: Addressing endogeneity in health econometric modeling. Journal of Health Economics 2008; 27(3):531-543.
- Basu A. Estimating decision-relevant comparative effects using instrumental variables. Statistics in Biosciences (Special Issue on Comparative Effectiveness Research) 2011; 3(1): 6-27.
- Basu A. Chan KCG. Can we make smart choices between OLS versus Contaminated IV estimators? Health Economics 2014; 23(4):462-72.
- Basu A. Person-Centered Treatment (PeT) effects using instrumental variables: An application to evaluating prostate cancer treatments.. 2012 National Bureau of Economic Research Working Paper No w18056. Journal of Applied Econometrics 2014; 29:671-691.
- Meltzer D, Chung J, Basu A. Does competition under Medicare prospective payment selectively reduce expenditures on high-cost patients? RAND Journal of Economics 2003; 33(3): 447-468.
- Basu A, Meltzer D. Implications of spillover effects within the family for medical cost-effectiveness analysis. Journal of Health Economics 2005; 24(4): 751-773.
- Huang E, Basu A, O’Grady M, Capretta JC. Using clinical information to project federal health care spending. Health Affairs 2009; 28(5):w978-w990.
- Basu A. Individualization at the heart of comparative effectiveness research: The time for i-CER has come. Medical Decision Making 2009. 29(6): N9-N11. [http://mdm.sagepub.com/cgi/reprint/29/6/NP9]
- Meltzer D, Basu A, Conti R. The Economics of comparative effectiveness studies: Societal and private perspectives and their implications for prioritizing public investments in comparative effectiveness research. PharmacoEconomics 2010; 28(10):843-853
- Basu A. Economics of individualization in comparative effectiveness research and a basis for a patient-centered healthcare. 2011 NBER Working Paper No. w16900. Journal of Health Economics 2011; 30(3): 549-559.
- Basu A, Jena A, Philipson T. Impact of comparative effectiveness research on health and healthcare spending. 2010 NBER Working Paper No. w15633. Journal of Health Economics 2011; 30(4): 695-706.
- Basu A, Meltzer HY. Tying Comparative Effectiveness Information to Decision Making and the Future of CER Designs: The case for Antipsychotic Drugs. Journal of Comparative Effectiveness Research 2012; 1(2): 171-180.
- Basu A, Meltzer D. Private manufacturers’ thresholds to invest in comparative effectiveness trials. PharmacoEconomics 2012; 30(10): 859-868.
- Basu A. Personalized Medicine in the Context of Comparative Effectiveness Research. Forum for Health Economics and Policy 2013; 16(2): 107-120.
- Basu A, Jena AB, Goldman DP, Philipson TJ, Dubois R. Heterogeneity in action: Role of passive personalization in comparative effectiveness research. Health Economics (with Discussions) 2013; 23(3): 359 – 373.
Modeling of Health Care Cost & Utilizations
- Basu A, Manning WG, Mullahy J. Comparing alternative models: log vs Cox proportional hazard? Health Economics 2004; 13(8): 749-765.
- Basu A, Rathouz P. Estimating marginal and incremental effects on health outcomes using flexible link and variance function models. Biostatistics 2005; 6(1): 93-109.
- Manning WG, Basu A, Mullahy J. Generalized modeling approaches to risk adjustment of skewed outcomes. 2003 NBER Working Paper No. t0293. Journal of Health Economics 2005; 24(3): 465-488.
- Basu A Extended generalized linear models: Simultaneous estimation of link and variance functions. The Stata Journal 2005; 5(4): 501-516.
- Basu A, Arondekar BV, Rathouz P. Scale of interest versus scale of estimation: Comparing alternative estimators for the incremental costs of a comorbidity. Health Economics 2006; 15(10): 1091-1107.
- Basu A, Manning WG. A test for proportional hazards assumption within the class of exponential conditional mean framework. Health Services and Outcomes Research Methodology 2006; 6(3-4): 81-100.
- Basu A, Manning WG. Issues for the next generation of healthcare costs analyses. Medical Care 2009; 47(7_Supplement_1):S109-S114.
- Basu A, Manning WG. Estimating life-time or episode cost of illness under censoring. York Health Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Paper 09/09. Health Economics 2010; 19(9): 1010-1028.
- Basu A, Polsky D, Manning WG. Estimating treatment effects on healthcare costs under exogeneity: Is there a ‘magic bullet’? York Health Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Paper 08/11; 2008 NBER Working Paper No. w14086. Health Services and Outcomes Research Methodology 2011; 11:1-26.
- Borah B, Basu A. Highlighting differences between conditional and unconditional quantile regression approaches through an application to assess medication adherence. Health Economics 2013; 22(9): 1052-1070.
Quality of Life Measurement & Modeling
- Dale W, Basu A, Meltzer D, Elstein A. Predicting utility ratings for joint health states from single health states in prostate cancer: Empirical testing of alternative theories. Medical Decision Making 2008; 28(1): 102 – 112.
- Basu A, Dale W, Elstein A, Meltzer D. A Linear Index for Predicting Joint Health States Utilities from Single Health States Utilities. Health Economics 2009; 18(4): 403-419.
- Basu A, Dale William, Elstein A, Meltzer D. A time trade-off method for eliciting partner’s quality of life due to patient’s health states in prostate cancer. Medical Decision Making 2010; 30(3): 355-365.
- Dale W, Bilir SP, Hemmerich J, Basu A, Elstein A, Meltzer D. The prevalence, correlates, and impact of logically inconsistent preferences in utility assessments for joint health states in prostate cancer. Medical Care 2011; 49(1): 59-66.
- Lee J, Rhee K, O’Grady MJ, Basu A, Winn A, John P, Meltzer DO, Koleman C, Laffel L, Lawrence J, Tamborlane WV, Wysocki T, Xing D, Huang ES. Health utilities for children and adults with type 1 diabetes. Medical Care 2011; 49(10): 924-931.
- Basu A, Manca A. Regression estimators for generic health-related quality of life and quality-adjusted life-years. Medical Decision Making 2012; 32(1):56-69.
Value of Information Analyses
- Basu A, Meltzer D. Value of information on preference heterogeneity and individualized care. Medical Decision Making 2007; 27(2):112-127.
- Meltzer D, Basu A, Meltzer HY. Comparative effectiveness research for antipsychotic medications: How much research is enough? Health Affairs 2009; 28(5): w794-w808.
- Basu A, Meltzer D. Quantitative methods for valuing comparative effectiveness information. Biopharmaceutical Report Fall 2010; 17(2): 2-10.
- Meltzer D, Hoomans T, Chung JW, Basu A. Minimal Modeling Approaches to Value of Information Analysis for Health Research. Medical Decision Making 2011; 31(6): E1-E22.
- Hoomans T, Seidenfeld J, Basu A, Meltzer, D. Systematizing the Use of Value of Information Analysis in Prioritizing Systematic Reviews. (Prepared by the University of Chicago Medical Center through the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association Technology Evaluation Center Evidence-based Practice Center under Contract No. 290-2007-10058.) AHRQ Publication No. 12-EHC109-EF. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. August 2012. www.effectivehealthcare.ahrq.gov/reports/final.cfm.
- Basu A, Meltzer HY. Differential trends in prevalence of diabetes and unrelated general medical illness for schizophrenia patients before and after the atypical antipsychotic era. Schizophrenia Research 2006; 86(1-3): 99-109.
- Yin W, Basu A, Zhang J, Rabbani A, Meltzer DO, Alexander GC. The impact of the Medicare Part D prescription drug benefit on drug utilization and out-of-pocket expenditures. (with Editorial) Annals of Internal Medicine 2008; 148: 169-177.
- Basu A, Paltiel DA, Pollack HA. Social costs of robbery and the cost-effectiveness of substance abuse treatment. Health Economics 2008; 17(8): 926-948.
- Basu A, Yin W, Alexander CG. Impact of Medicare Part D on the prescription utilization of elderly dual-eligible patients. 2008 NBER Working Paper No. w14413. Health Services Research 2009. 45(1): 133-151.
- Huang E, O'Grady M, Basu A, Winn A, John P, Lee J, Meltzer D, Kollman C, Laffel L, Tamborlane W, Weinzimer S, Wysocki T. The cost-effectiveness of continuous glucose monitoring in Type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2010; 33(6): 1269-1274.
- Basu A, Kee RA, Buchanan D, Sadowski LS. Comparative cost analysis of housing and case management program for chronically ill homeless adults compared to usual care. Health Services Research 2012; 47(1pt2): 523-543.
- Hillemeier MM, Domino ME, Wells RS Goyal RK, Kum H-C, Cilenti D, Whitmire JT, Basu A. Effects of Maternity Care Coordination on Pregnancy Outcomes: Propensity-Weighted Analyses. Maternal and Child Health Journal 2014; (In Press)
- Basu A, Tong P, Alexander KS, Dollimore D. Extension of the compartment theory for hindered settling behavior.” S.T.P. Pharma Sciences 1997; 7(3): 215-222.
- Tong P, Basu A, Alexander KS, Dollimore D. Development of a new theory for hindered settling suspensions. S.T.P. Pharma Sciences 1998; 8(4): 241-247.
- Abdalla I, Basu A, Hellman S. An evidence-based analysis of the management of localized prostate cancer. The Cancer Journal 2002. Jan-Feb; 8(1): 40-6.
- Jani AB, Basu A, Heinmann R, Hellman, S. Sentinel node versus axillary node dissection for the early stage breast cancer: A comparison using a utility-adjusted NNT (Number Needed to Treat) analysis. Cancer 2003; January; 97(2): 359-366.
- Jani AB, Basu A, Abdalla I, Connell PP, Krautz L, Vijayakumar S. The impact of hormone therapy when combined with external beam radiotherapy for early-stage, intermediate or high-risk prostate cancer. American Journal of Clinical Oncology 2003; August 26(4):382-385.
- Basu A. Cost-effectiveness analysis of pharmacological treatments in schizophrenia: critical review of results and methodological issues. Schizophrenia Research 2004; 71(2-3): 445-462.
- Dickinson M, Basu A. Multilevel modeling and practice-based research. Annals of Family Medicine 2005; 3(Supp 1): S52-S60.
- Lindau ST, Basu A, Leitsch SA. Health literacy as a predictor of follow-up after an abnormal pap smear: A prospective study. Journal of General Internal Medicine 2006; 21(8): 829 – 834. [PMID: 16881942]
- Basu A, Meltzer HY, Dukic V. Estimating transitions between symptom severity states over time in schizophrenia: A Bayesian meta-analytic approach. Statistics in Medicine 2006; 25(17): 2886 - 2910.
- Huang ES, Basu A, Finch M, Frytak J, Manning WG. The complexity of medication regimens and test ordering for patients with diabetes from 1995 to 2003. Current Medical Research and Opinion 2007; 23(6): 1423-1430.
- Alexander GC, Zhang J, Basu A. Characteristics of patients receiving pharmaceutical samples and association between sample receipt and out-of-pocket prescription costs. Medical Care 2008; 46: 394-402.
- Van Voorhees BW, Paunesku D, Kuwabara SA, Basu A, Gollan J, Hankin BL, Melkonian S, Reinecke M. Protective and vulnerability factors predicting new-onset depressive episode in a representative of US adolescents Journal of Adolescent Health 2008;42(6):605-16.
- Van Voorhees BW, Ellis JM, Gollan J, Basu A. Predicting future risk of depressive episode in adolescents: the Chicago Adolescent Depression Risk Assessment (CADRA). Annals of Family Medicine 2008 Nov-Dec;6(6):503-511.
- Huang E, Basu A, O’Grady M, Capretta J. Projecting the future diabetes population size and related costs for the United States. Diabetes Care 2009; 32:2225-2229.
- Shah LM, King AC, Basu A, Krishnan JA, Borden WB, Meltzer D, Arora V. Effect of clinician advice and patient preparedness to quit on subsequent quit attempts in hospitalized smokers . Journal of Hospital Medicine 2010. 5(1): 26-32.
- Basu A. Forecasting distribution of body-mass index categories in United States: Is there more room for growth? Medical Decision Making 2010; 30(3): E1-E11.
- Arora V, Fish M, Basu A, Olson J, Plein C, Suresh K, Sachs G, Meltzer DO. Relationship Between Quality of Care for Hospitalized Vulnerable Elders and Post-Discharge Mortality. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 2010; 58(9): 1642-8.
- Helfand M, Tunis S, Whitlock EP, Pauker SG, Basu A, Chilingerian J, Harrell FE, Meltzer DO, Montori VM, Shepard DS, Kent DM and the Methods Work Group of the National CTSA Strategic Goal Committee on Comparative Effectiveness Research. A CTSA agenda to advance methods for comparative effectiveness research. Clinical and Translational Science 2011; 4(3): 188-198.
- Ruedy KJ, Tamborlane WV; Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Continuous Glucose Monitoring Study Group (Basu A). The landmark JDRF continuous glucose monitoring randomized trials: a look back at the accumulated evidence. Journal of Cardiovascular Translational Research. 2012 Aug;5(4):380-7.
- Goldberger JJ, Basu A, Buxton AE, Cain M, Chen P-S, Constantini O, Exner DV, Lloyd-Jones D, Kadish AH, Lee B, Moss A, Meyerberg R, Olgin J, Passman R, Rosenbaum D, Stevenson W, Tomaselli G, Zareba W, Zipes DP, Zoloth L. Risk Stratification for Sudden Cardiac Death: A Plan for the Future. Circulation (In Press).