Week 1: Monday, Mar 26 Introduction / Data, Graph and Visualization Types
- Introduction, Chapters 1-2, Stephen Few's Now You See It, Analytics Press, 2009.
- "A classification of visual representations", Lohse, Biolsi, Walker, Reuter, CACM 1994. pdf (Or see CommonView for PDF)
- Download and install Tableau before class today (must be registered for the course).
- Post an introduction to the class discussion board following the instructions there.
Week 2: Monday, Apr 2 Graphical Excellence / Interactive Data Exploration
Guest Lecture 6pm-7pm Sophia Kan, Tableau Software
Guide to using the Tableau software package:
The Beginner's Guide to Data Visualization.
- Chapter 1 from Visual Display of Quantitative Information. Tufte. (see CommonView for PDF)
- pp. 1-34, Information Visualization: Using Vision to Think, Card, Mackinlay, and Shneiderman, Morgan Kaufmann, 1999. (see CommonView for PDF)
- The Eyes Have It: A Task by Data Type Taxonomy for Information Visualizations (pdf), Shneiderman, Proc. IEEE Conference on Visual Languages, Boulder 1996.
- Assignment 1 (due before class today)
- Cars dataset, adapted from the ASA 1983 dataset.
- Example of Tableau being used for relief work in Haiti
Week 3: Monday, Apr 9 Data Encoding and Graphical Integrity / How to Critique a Visualization
- Chapter 2 from Visual Display of Quantitative Information. Tufte. (see CommonView for PDF)
- The Structure of the Information Visualization Design Space (pdf), Card and Mackinlay, 1997.
- Chapter 3 from Now You See It
- Mackinlay's Ranking of Visual Encodings: Published Paper
- Assignment 2, Exploratory Data Analysis Due before class today.
- Project Proposal Due Friday, Apr 13, 9pm.
Week 4: Monday, Apr 16 Visual Perception
- Perception in Visualization (html), C. Healey, 2011.
- Chapters 4 and 5 from Now You See It
- Graph Design I.Q. Test (html), Stephen Few, 2009.
- Graphical Perception (pdf), W. Cleveland and R. McGill, J. Amer. Statistical Assoc., Vol 79, No 387 (Sep 1984), pp. 531-554.
- Assignment 3, Visualization Critiques Due before class today.
- Revised Project Proposal Due Friday, Apr 20, 9pm.
Week 5: Monday, Apr 23 Multivariate Analysis
- Chapters 6 and 12 from Now You See It
Read at least two of these:
- Stephen Few on Parallel Coordinates, Business Intelligence Network, Sept 2006.
- Network Visualization by Semantic Substrates, Shneiderman & Aris, IEEE TVCG 2006.
- Understanding research trends in conferences using PaperLens, Lee et al., CHI'05 extended abstracts, 2005. website
- Polaris: A System for Query, Analysis, and Visualization of Multidimensional Relational Databases, Stolte, Tang, Hanrahan, IEEE TVCG 8 (1), 2002.
- Multidimensional Detective, Inselberg, IEEE Infoviz Symposium, 1997.
- The attribute explorer, Tweedie et al. CHI 1994.
- Space-scale diagrams, Furnas & Bederson, CHI 1995.
Week 6: Monday, Apr 30 Interaction / Mid-term Presentations
- Now You See It, pp. 143-162 (first half of chapter 7).
- Generalized selection via interactive query relaxation, J. Heer, M. Agrawala, W. Willett, CHI 2008, pp. 959-968.
- Visual information seeking: Tight coupling of dynamic query filters with starfield displays, Ahlberg & Shneiderman.
- Mid-term presentations due today (should be uploaded to GoPost before class)
Week 7: Monday, May 7 Distortion Techniques / 3D in Visualization
- A framework for unifying presentation space, Carpendale and Montagnese, UIST 2001.
- A review and taxonomy of distortion-oriented presentation techniques, Y.K. Leung and M.D. Apperley, ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction, Vol. 1, No. 2, June 1994, pp. 126-160.
- Generalized fisheye views, G. W. Furnas, CHI 1986.
- Evaluating the effectiveness of spatial memory in 2D and 3D physical and virtual environments, Cockburn and McKenzie, CHI 2002.
Week 8: Monday, May 14 Animation / Network and Tree Visualization
- Animation: From Cartoons to the User Interface Bay-Wei Chang, David Ungar, UIST 1993.
- Animated Exploration of Graphs with Radial Layout, Ping Yee, Danyel Fisher, Rachna Dhamija, and Marti Hearst, in IEEE Infovis Symposium, San Diego, 2001
- Animation: Does It Facilitate? Barbara Tversky, Julie Morrison, Mireille Betrancourt, International Journal of Human Computer Studies, v57, p247-262. 2002.
Week 9: Monday, May 21 Color
- No readings; work on projects.